Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to join two sheet metals?

jan_zbornikjan_zbornik Member Posts: 2 EDU
I used Sheet metal model (thicken) and got two separate sheet metals. I need to join them, but the function make a joint does not work. Any suggestion? 

Answers

• mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    Thanks for sharing this.  Currently there is no way to join two completed separate sheet metal Bodies created by two sheet metal master features.  A way around this is to create an envelope part that represents the final volume of the part as a normal solid and use the thicken or convert option to have all the relevant faces included in the same sheet metal feature or use flanges and offset them to match using the powerful move face command.
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @jan_zbornik

If your two pieces of sheet metal were created in the same "Sheet metal model" feature, and appear in the same flat (as they look to be doing in your flat view), they will be joinable.  (As Mike says, if they are from different "Sheet metal model" features, they will not be joinable, but this does not appear to be the case in your question.)

Usually I would suggest the Tab feature for joining different bodies of the same model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sheetmetaltab.htm

But that will not work in this case.  If you share the link to your doc (instructions here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist-read-this-first) we can work on a specific solution.

Otherwise generally here I would agree with Mike, you'll probably need to go back and set up the sheet metal in a way that these pieces start off joined, rather than starting off disconnected and attempting to join them later.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team