Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't boolean?

aaron_2aaron_2 Member Posts: 26 PRO

Best Answers

Answers

• clayton_ertleyclayton_ertley Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Your link seems to be broken. it sends me to a page that looks like the picture I have attached.
    If it was a link to a model make sure it is public.
  • aaron_2aaron_2 Member Posts: 26 PRO
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Are you trying to boolean all of the parts together?  It seems to be succeeding for me.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    I think you was correct on that. I had to redesign because I hadn't yet added a feature which in turn changed the design of this and it now works. thanks for the help.
    No problem. I am glad It worked for you.

I looked at the model again and I see the boolean worked. I see that I was wrong about what it was. May I ask what it is?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    The most common cases I run into failing to boolean are either my parts don't actually touch or they touch at an infinitely small edge resulting in a non-manifold edge.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    The most common cases I run into failing to boolean are either my parts don't actually touch or they touch at an infinitely small edge resulting in a non-manifold edge.  

I believe that is what happened as in the picture Clayton showed, I have change some of the designs so it is working now. Thanks for the help.
    Were you trying to union. If so, what for? It looks like some kind of cell phone cover.
    If you are going to get it printed, you will likely need to cut some holes in the hollow areas. if the printer to be used uses support materials (i think you can get away with it using FDM)

I didn't notice anything to gain from a subtraction. Please advise.
    It's for a 7 inch tablet, thanks for the reminder on the holes. I knew it had to have them and totally forgot. Oh so I wish I could afford my own printer right now. I have so many designs as they are all for 3d printing and are not able to utilize them right now.
    edited May 2015
    Oh!, I was so close! Were you going to use shapeways? If not, I would recommend them. I have always gotten great service from them. They also have a really good built in software that checks the model for problem areas.

Good luck with your design.

P.S I know how you feel about the printer! My wife and I are saving for a Formlabs SLS printer. I can't wait!
    Yeah I actually have a store with them lol, AaronSC, check it out if you'd like
    I will! I also have a store but haven't put up anything in a while.
    I like the work the sls printers do but I think I would rather have an fdm. Seem like they would work better for most of my designs,
    Oh? How so? I usually try to go for the best detail. Every time I try to do something that has to snap into place in end breaking the print.
    maybe I am wrong.  I need as many material options as possible.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    De methodis non est disputandum 
  • VinceHaley_SkillCoachVinceHaley_SkillCoach Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hey aaron_2,

I made a private copy of your model and began looking at some of your construction methods. I noticed in sketch 1 splines were used. However, the end conditions were not constrained adequately. Have a look at the screenshot I took. I'd say cleaning up such conditions that may exist throughout the model will help significantly. - I'll be happy to share other modeling practices if you want to continue the discussion.

Vince Haley
    Creative and Technical Skill Development Coach
    Design Inspiration
    LinkedIn Bio
  • stg434stg434 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Oh!, I was so close! Were you going to use shapeways? If not, I would recommend them. I have always gotten great service from them. They also have a really good built in software that checks the model for problem areas.

P.S I know how you feel about the printer! My wife and I are saving for a Formlabs SLS printer. I can't wait!
    Also consider 3DHubs, https://www.3dhubs.com/

Community based 3D printing services.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    aaron_2 said:

You might consider the Zortrax M200 for US$2,000.  It has limited filaments as shipped but Z-Temp, a 3rd party add-on, allows you to use other filaments.

HI everyone, I have figured this out, so thank to all that has helped. Now the new question is how to mark this as answered as I no longer see the option.
    stg434 said:

Also consider 3DHubs, https://www.3dhubs.com/

Community based 3D printing services.
    A big thanks for this tip I have been looking for more print services and this on seem awesome.
    I don't think you can mark this as answered as it appears to be a discussion.

I don't think you can mark this as answered as it appears to be a discussion.

I guess that would make since lol.
    edited June 2015
    aaron_2 said:

You might consider the Zortrax M200 for US$2,000.  It has limited filaments as shipped but Z-Temp, a 3rd party add-on, allows you to use other filaments.

Thinks for the tip, I will look into it. That transmission makes me smile every time I see it.  That print quality looks really nice from the picture.  Do you know what the highest resolution is?
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    aaron_2 - the smallest layer thickness for the Zortrax M200 right now is 90µ - they promised smaller layers in future but no action on that in over a year so I'm not hopeful.  It uses a 0.35 mm nozzle but the X/Y resolution is much less than that.