Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Film covering?

adrian_10adrian_10 Member Posts: 10
Hi Guys, on RC models using the built up balsa technique we cover the wings with a heat shrink plastic film. 

is there any way of replicating this in onshape?

Thanks, 

Ade

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Model is as a surface, that should work but you will have to add each bit with extrudes, lof, etc. No magic button to shrink wrap that I know of although I am sure someone may have or could create a feature script. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    michael_krugermichael_kruger Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Hi there,

This is slightly unrelated to film covering, but I am also trying to design a sheeted balsa model aircraft.

I was wondering if you have found a nice way to design a sheeted model, and then create
    a flattened out template (or pattern) to know how to cut the balsa?

Cheers
    Mike
  • Options
    david_gregorydavid_gregory Member Posts: 14 PRO
    This feature would be useful for a bunch of use cases!
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @michael_kruger I just recently started messing around with Exact Flat (https://www.exactflat.com/online).  This software is designed to do what you described.  Export a SURFACE model (not solid) from Onshape.  Flatten the curved surface in Exact Flat, and then export a dxf of the flat pattern. 

There is an Exact Flat app  within Onshape.  But you can also log into Exact Flat directly.

Regards,

-Matt