Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

snap fit

ehsan_pazookiehsan_pazooki Member Posts: 52 EDU
Hello Guys,

I need to simulate and design a snap-fit model for the connection between two cylindrical parts and attach them together.

Actually I have a lot of questions.

For example, How to calculate the strength and stress?
I want to print my parts with a 3D printer and I don't want to have a broken snap fit.

Could some one please give me a feedback? Or share a link of a done model with me?
Or send me some useful links to me?

I would be really happy to hear from you.

Thank you very much and best regards
Ehsan Pazooki

Answers

• Options
    guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    Hi Ehsan
    I recommend reading the BASF snap design guide : https://web.mit.edu/2.75/resources/random/Snap-Fit Design Manual.pdf
    It's one of the best places to start with.
    If you 3D print parts with SLS you can design like it was injected nylon parts. SLS will not break easy

Snap design will improve with experience ,
    once yo finish your design , I am happy to review and comment. I have few years of experience in snap design
    Guy

• Options
    ehsan_pazookiehsan_pazooki Member Posts: 52 EDU
    Hi Guy, Thank you very much for your answer. I will use the document.
    That was really nice of you. I stay in contact with you
    Do you have maybe facebook?

regards
    Ehsan
  • Options
    sanjeev_kumar387sanjeev_kumar387 Member Posts: 2 EDU

A snap fit is a type of mechanical fastening technique used to join two components together without the need for additional fasteners like screws or adhesives. It involves using specially designed features on the components that snap into each other, creating a secure connection.

• Options
    sanjeev_kumar387sanjeev_kumar387 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    It may be help you, please read : https://marinerspointpro.com/snap-fit/