Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can i creat a mate relation between a spur gear and a stationary internal gear?

joben_kennard_arroyojoben_kennard_arroyo Member Posts: 3 EDU
edited April 2020 in Community Support
Hello! I am fairly new to Onshape and in CAD design in general. I am making a project wherein the rotational motion of the swing door is converted to a one way rotation of a generator shaft. In order to do this, I place a stationary internal gear at the top of the door with its center aligning with the axis of rotation of the door. The spur gear will follow a curvilinear path,  meshing with the internal gear as the door is opened. How can i create a mate relation with the spur and internal gear so that the spur gear rotates along with the swinging of the door?
I attached a pic of the assembly below. Any help is much appreciated!

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    The easiest thing to do would be to create a gear relation between the revolute of the spur gear and the revolute of the door hinge.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    joben_kennard_arroyojoben_kennard_arroyo Member Posts: 3 EDU
    I didn't think of that. I got stuck thinking how to transfer the motion through the internal gear. Thank you very much!