Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I am lost

IS THERE ANY WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE SPEAKER IN THE LEARNING CENTRE? I AM NOT A NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER AND EITHER HIS ACCENT IS SO STRONG OR IT HAS BEEN EDITED AFTERWARDS THAT MANY SYLLABLES (EG.GEOMETRY) SOUND SWALLOWED. I FIND THIS SO UNHELPFUL AND HAVE TO GO BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN JUST BECAUSE OF THE LANGUAGE/INTELLIGIBILITY PROBLEM...?

Best Answer

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Answer ✓

@veronika_rettich you can slow down the video speed by clicking on the gear icon. I tried both 0.5 and 0.75. I would recommend 0.75 as it still provides smooth audio for following along. 0.5 seems to be too slow to work well.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    Hello @veronika_rettich - we have to do the videos at a fairly fast pace in order to cover all the topics in a reasonable amount of time. We understand the issue for non-native English speaking people, so underneath the videos is the transcript of the video in English (which you can Google Translate to make it easier for yourself).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Answer ✓

@veronika_rettich you can slow down the video speed by clicking on the gear icon. I tried both 0.5 and 0.75. I would recommend 0.75 as it still provides smooth audio for following along. 0.5 seems to be too slow to work well.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• veronika_rettichveronika_rettich Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for you quick response. Well, hopefully you will reconsider and offer different versions for different learners at some point. As you advertise your programme for education, this would need to be improved massivley from my point of view. I am an adult but there are lots of children (and adults) with dislexia who could not cope with the amount of text either. I can imagine that you'd only need to slow down the video and re-record the voice over with somebody eg. with a british accent or who simply speaks slowly and clearly. This might benefit many more users than you think. As I said before it is not the fact I don't understand the language (and I have read the text and I do know about Googe translate, sorry that suggestion was almost rude), it is the accent and the pace which is not working for me. If it is not working for me, it means it is not working for many others. So why do you "have to" do the videos only in a fast pace?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    I’m sorry you feel that way @veronika_rettich I was only trying to be helpful. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for the king's English :D
  • veronika_rettichveronika_rettich Member Posts: 5
    Thank you everyone. I am now slowing it down to 50 or 75% and read the subtitles. :)