Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Applying Linear Pattern to inside curved surface

ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I'm absolutely stumped, I am trying to apply a Linear Pattern to the underside of an 3 Arch Viaduct Bridge: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ab039effdefc81af5b5cd9c7/w/622fae194371f421edaffbdb/e/809c1cfa691fd4df8292060d , but I cannot get it to work, can anyone with experience in this area please help me overcome this issue?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thank you Mahir, this change that you have done achieves exactly what I was after. Thank you so much, I am over the moon with appreciation. Exactly what was the issue, so that I can avoid this problem from here on?
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem. If you look at your version of the Main Section sketch, it was missing controlling dimensions and relations. So I dimensioned one arch radius and set the other equal to it. I also positioned all the lines with coincident/horizontal constraints and added dimensions for the separation between arches. All of those dimensions were just slightly off by a fraction of a millimeter, which made patterning difficult since the tile bodies weren't making contact with the arches.Once that was fixed, it was just a matter of adding a circular pattern to tile one arch and then a linear pattern to tile the other two arches.

• ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Many thanks again Mahir for your explanation of the problems that you fixed for me. 
    I have been removing some of the highlighted constraints when the sketch title appears in red. 
    From here on I will delete a constraint one at a time until it repairs the issue (until the Red text changes back to black), then I will undo the deletion and move onto to next constraint (stepping through systematically) until I find the conflicting constraint.