Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Attaching Documentation to Custom Feature

KinKin Member Posts: 28 PRO
Hi,
Is there anyway we can attach additional information(Like User guide in pdf format) to the custom feature?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Hi @Kin - we use this Google Slides template for creating FS instructions, then download as PDF and upload to the first tab of the document (renaming the tab to Instructions). You can of course use your own format. It will not show when somebody uses your feature, but if they right-click and "open linked document" they will be able to see it there.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1i3SkgQDkU6agkvp3TDhOryWAhPL73LFbZ-2Y-iVnl90/edit?usp=sharing
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    KinKin Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Thanks Neil. I think ideal solution would be to, 
    a). have the pdf attached to custom feature itself.
    b). have shortcut to the location in custom feature dialog(similar to OnShape Features).
  • Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    The pdf is already associated with the custom feature, just not directly. Since custom features are necessarily defined in a document, right-clicking the feature and going to the document brings you to the pdf. Unless you meant something else by attaching the pdf?

Thank being said, I never actually noticed the help link before; would it be possible to allow FS authors to insert a similar help link directly to the PDF tab of the latest document version?
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University