Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

FeatureScript Sculpt Surface

hervé_piponhervé_pipon Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FeatureScript
Hello,
I play with FeatureScript Sculpt Surface to modify a cylinder.
The modifications are hand made.
Is there a way to copy this result so I can make the same modification to others parts ?
Or to save the 
parameter Vectors ?

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I played around a bit with the FS. I don't see a way to directly export or copy/paste parameters. But you have a couple alternatives.
    1. Structure your design such that you can just pattern or transform/copy the first body instead of using another Sculpt Surface feature. For example, these two parts started out the same, but features were added after the pattern to make them different.

2. Use the Sculpt by Reference option of the FS. This allows you to drive the feature using reference sketches/points created prior to starting the Sculpt feature. While the Sculpt feature can't be copy/pasted, with a little effort you can copy the reference sketches and use them to drive another Sculpt feature. Below is a screenshot from the FS instructions

You can also ask @maximilian_schommer to update his FS to add an export/import option, but there's no guarantee it would happen.
  • hervé_piponhervé_pipon Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    mahir Thanks for your help, it's very interresting, I will try Sculpt by reference
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited June 2020
    In Solidworks, I would make that tab as a separate body and move/copy it to the other location. Then you can combine the bodies. This tends to capture the design intent better assuming that you might make other changes to that tab, it will be easy to update. I'm sure there's a way to do something similar in Onshape.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree with Simon. In this case I would go with patterning the part and then combining. That way if you ever change the first part, the copies will also reflect the design change. This corresponds to Option 1 in my previous post.