Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How did I get a mesh from Stl file?

tom_laheytom_lahey Member Posts: 10
I imported an extrusion that was a separate onshape part into a  new Onshape part and it is now a mesh.
How do I convert the mesh to a solid so I can perform a boolean on it to make one part?
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f3ec1ad12f1e66c16d5657af/w/81b1ee2bdf2b6cb7e54937aa/e/653af4d096362b20daa6d140

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can’t convert meshes to solids. Meshes are for reference only. Why are you following that workflow? Have you tried the Derived feature?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @tom_lahey - I agree that using the Derived feature is likely what you need. 

However, if you really do need to export, then import a part, you'll be better served by exporting to a different format. An STL file is essentially a mesh body. Other file types like .step or parasolid files retain the exact geometry (but not the feature tree or history of the part).
  • tom_laheytom_lahey Member Posts: 10
    I started over, took the original bmp file,  made it a part, then used derive to bring it into my new document and it worked well.
    I dont understand why, when I used derive the first time, it wound up as a mesh....but oh well
    Thanks for the help