Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rotate extrude along sweep path axis! (wire rope)

Barry_van_WijkBarry_van_Wijk Member Posts: 43 PRO
Hi,

I have made a wire rope wich follow a spline/sweep function.
But the rope must twist along the sweep axis.
In a straight line I get it done with the helix function, but not with the bend (sp)line in the sweep function.
You can see in the example that i am using a FS to make a helix accros the sweeppath,
but that is not the way because it uses the helix path to sweep and not the origin sweep axis.

Anyone who can help?
Thank you!

Here my link!
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6088391b27f54bc92a939687/w/9c2908d2bfa312418b5418e7/e/4a1390c7ab67553ca8f90f63

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Barry_van_WijkBarry_van_Wijk Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Thank you Neil, I have checked it, but again, the profile is rotating around the created helix.
    I juist want a rotation in my sweep profile/path.
    Or in other words, that the sweep is going to be rotating along the major/sweep axis.
    Or just don't get it? I hope i'm clear!
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Barry_van_Wijk
    You can use the spiral FS above to create a curve that rotates around your main sweep path. That curve can then be used as a guide curve, which will rotate your profile sketch as it follows the main sweep path. I believe that's exactly what you're looking for.
    edited August 2020
    I get insecure because I can't get it done and I'm afraid to look stupid.
    But still I ask the question one more time, with a new picture to point out:

As example I want to rotate the highlighted profile along the highlighted axis with a specific rotation/pitch.
    With the above mentioned FS i don't get it done... Help?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I don’t think it is possible with one profile like you have. You may have to create multiple spiral curves and sweep each strand. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It took some doing, but here's my take using a loft with 2 guide curves. The guide curves were created via the Contour Spiral FS.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/2bddac9efd1a90c88eb02452

Thank you that works for me!

maybe nice to see the result :)