Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Students submitting work via link sharing.

I have students submit a link via link sharing for me to grade.
They turn on link sharing and then copy the link into the Canvas, the LMS.

The only problem with this is that I cannot comment or see the history of it.

Is there any way a student can share a link with me that will enable me to see the history and make comments?

Thanks

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they need to give you edit permissions for the documents to be able to comment and view the history. They'll need your accounts email address to  share the document with your account, but then they can still just copy/paste the URL of the document into Canvas.
  • David_ParkerDavid_Parker Member Posts: 2
    I set my students up to do this, but when I follow the link I end up my documents with the message "Failed to load document for workspace. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it."  Do I have to be the enterprise admin to be able to follow a link to their document?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @David_Parker - I think that message generally means that the document owner hasn't given your account permission to view or edit it. 
  • David_ParkerDavid_Parker Member Posts: 2
    @tim_hess427
    Thanks, It turned out that link sharing has to be enabled by an admin to work in an EDU enterprise.  I can share the howto if you like.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Link sharing is not a good idea because you cannot edit or review the history. Bypass Canvas and just look in the Shared with me filter in Onshape. Better still, have them submit work using Release Management (if you are using Enterprise). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Mr_IMr_I Member Posts: 1 EDU
    You know what would be an awesome enhancement? 
    I teach a CAD course at my high school, ~20 kids, with ~20 homework assignments that they have to Share with me. Each semester, I have to Unshare all of these documents: Find the file in my Recent list, right click on its name, select "Remove me from share", click "Remove me" after it says "Are you sure", wait for the screen to refresh, and repeat ~399 times!
    Can't you figure out how to let me select numerous documents and then "Remove me from share on all documents", so I can reduce this mind-numbing task?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Mr_I said:
    I teach a CAD course at my high school, ~20 kids, with ~20 homework assignments that they have to Share with me. Each semester, I have to Unshare all of these documents: Find the file in my Recent list, right click on its name, select "Remove me from share", click "Remove me" after it says "Are you sure", wait for the screen to refresh, and repeat ~399 times!
    Can't you figure out how to let me select numerous documents and then "Remove me from share on all documents", so I can reduce this mind-numbing task?
    Sorry you're having such a bad experience using Onshape. Please submit an improvement request.

You could try emailing the students and asking them to remove you - you would at least get some percentage of it done for you.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Mr_I said:
    Sorry you're having such a bad experience using Onshape. Please submit an improvement request.

You could try emailing the students and asking them to remove you - you would at least get some percentage of it done for you.
    @NeilCooke I've asked for mass "remove from share" for a couple years. No movement. I think there are a number of mass multiple selection options that could be done, but aren't. Please make it like a real file browser in those respects. Mass delete, move to folder, sharing changes, remove from share, tags, etc
  • david_kurtzdavid_kurtz Member Posts: 24 EDU

@mark_jordan312 Have you tried using Teams? I found Teams to be an easy way to collect, grade and tag work. Students just need to share their work with the team.

David

• kate_leipold_ritkate_leipold_rit Member Posts: 36 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Link sharing is not a good idea because you cannot edit or review the history. Bypass Canvas and just look in the Shared with me filter in Onshape. Better still, have them submit work using Release Management (if you are using Enterprise). 
    I have found link sharing to be the best way for us.  I have 200 students this semester with 7 TA/graders.  We also keep our records and grades via our course LMS.  So link sharing has definitely been best for us.  I created a TA group in the enterprise, and all students share work to the TA group. 
  • quinn_ruppelquinn_ruppel Member Posts: 1 EDU
    @tim_hess427
    Thanks, It turned out that link sharing has to be enabled by an admin to work in an EDU enterprise.  I can share the howto if you like.
    David...Can you let me know how to enable this feature? My district setup the EDU enterprise, the students were using individual accounts prior.