Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

macOS Big Sur Safari makes Onshape work awfully.

david_littlefair373david_littlefair373 Member Posts: 10 PRO
edited August 2020 in General
I'm not sure whose problem this is but Big Sur Public Beta 2 using Safari makes onshore horrible to use, where the view window is flashing in and out of zoom by ~1 mouse scroll while trying to hover over features. It also causes hovering to not highlight edges and vertices. Google Chrome work fine still so I will use that for now, but thought that given that a lot of users will be updating to Big Sur next month on its release, Onshape should know.

It's also horrible that bug reporting is pissed into the wind by posting it to a forum, there should be a dedicated place so I feel like I'm not wasting my time.
Tagged:

Comments

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

Have tried using the OS built-in bug reporting mechanism?

I have used it with very good results. Someone in OS immediately looks at and follow ups. Your reported "bug" get assigned a formal ticket # and when it is fixed in an update you are contacted to let you know the issue has been resolved. 
  • cedric_gmcacedric_gmca Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I'm just giving a try for Onshape on MacBook Air with Mac OS BigSur (11.0.1) to see if I can replace my old laptop (linux + windows).
    Safari V.14 was very promising with performance check (about 120 millions TPS) but is horrible in use (very laggy and bugs in section-view for example, etc...)
    However it seems to work fine on Chrome with less performance check measurements (110 millions) even if graphics are less clean (little blurry).

Is there anyone who can try it with a Mac?
    Is Safari not compatible with Onshape?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English (French...)
    Cédric
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Since Big Sur is still in Beta, it's likely that Safari is not yet fully compliant with the web standards that Onshape requires to work properly, so you might encounter performance and graphical issues. I recommend using Chrome for now if that works alright.

To fix the issue of blurriness in Chrome, go to https://cad.onshape.com/user/settings (My account > preferences), scroll down to Environment profile settings, select "Create profile," set Match pixel density to "Yes," and save. That will increase the Onshape viewport resolution to match your screen resolution, but it may cause slower performance. That's why it may look blurry when in Automatic mode (since it chooses to render at a lower resolution to decrease GPU load)

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    @cedric_gmca - please file an issue with Onshape support if you continue to have issues with Big Sur.  The issue may be hardware-dependent and it would be useful to know your exact model, and get the info into our support system for tracking. Thanks!
  • cedric_gmcacedric_gmca Member Posts: 5
    @alnis_smidchens
    Big Sur Vers. 10.0.1 is officiel version and no more Beta.
    Thanks a lot for your answer and possibilities of settings "pixel density", I will try it.

@Evan
    Ok I will "report a bug" in Help menu.
    Thanks
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    @cedric_gmca thanks for the information! I am a bit out of date on my Apple news. I'll be more careful in the future.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com