Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting Wireframes

I have a part studio with multiple sketches in it: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84d7d41e90357905e69d675b/w/70256b1d6d6272608a109cb9/e/1dd5be033460c35e01d4ac53

(I'm evaluating if OnShape will work for this, so this is an example)

I want to export this wireframe so that it can be used in FEA software (IGES, STEP, 3D DXF should all work... there are a lot of such file formats)

Does anyone know if this can be done or any workarounds? Maybe with the help of some featurescript?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    You can export curves, so maybe a FeatureScript that turns all sketch entities into curves (wires)?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    thaddeus_hughesthaddeus_hughes Member Posts: 2
    OK, using composite curves allows me to export them, now. Looks like IGES export at least works. This may actually end up being preferable as I can define groups of tubes/wires.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    STEP and Parasolid should also work.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI