Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 18th, 2020

2»

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    This is a great update. Thank you Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    I got a chance to try the pics today. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/190ff22230d6575e2b718738/w/c6c894c3e451254053fd77c2/e/e493dc1ed7f0a023245d83f5

This is great for somebody like me who cannot remember what I did five minutes ago. I like the fact that the pics do not also stay on your phone if you use the camera. A nice addition would be to upload multiple pics.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @bill_schnoebelen
    thanks for sharing the doc with pics!  

the paint look is really cool.  what order and method did you get the black and blue to look so clean?  I see the needle applicator, just not sure how you did it.  Looks great!

I am making a sign for gift and this is very timely...

sorry to hijack the topic a bit here.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    Hi Bruce,

That is just a favor for a neighbor. I have made a bunch of these over the years. I usually make them out of whatever scrap I have. 

IIRC I made one where I machined the profile. I then painted the exterior flat black. Then I machined the letters and clear coated. It looks pretty nice with the machine marks in the aluminum colored letters. I'll put a picture up there.

For this one, I machined then painted. I watered down the blue and applied it with a glue bottle since that is what I had. It wicked in the letters very nicely! 

If I was going to do it again, I would make the base paint gloss or semi gloss. I think any slips in the letters would clean off better than the flat black. The flat black may work better if you take the time to let it fully dry. I don't have that kind of patience. :)

I actually bought the model paint to make some tooling storage racks. I plan to machine text in the aluminum. I'll  rub the paint in the recessed letters and clean the surface with a sponge.

@bill_schnoebelen that is helpful.  I am making a wooden sign and was going to hand router it.  You inspired me to do it in Onshape first and then we have CNC routers that I will use to 'engrave'.  Hope I have time to post a design doc including pictures also.  Thanks for the ideas!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2020
    We like the sheet-metal powdercoat option :)

This could turn into a hackaday, pinterest, grabcad, fiverr on steroids. Do a Google search. Find a pic of what your looking for in OS. Borrow the CAD/Instructions or hire the person to make it for you.  
    I'm dreaming of an Onshape update, just like the ones I used to know.....
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @john_mcclary - lovin' that ^^  :D
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2020

hmm the video isn't linking..