Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch Constraints often Breaking

CyberphilCyberphil Member Posts: 7 EDU
I've found, more and more with rather complicated sketches, that often when dimensions or sketches are deleted in a sketch, somehow the sketch becomes unsolvable. 

Example: I have a  fully defined sketch (all lines black) that I wish to edit. I delete one constraint in order to make a change I want and all the sudden the sketch turns completely red and says it's unsolvable.

A document where this is happening often with some rather complicated sketches:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9a55bd90131e1850420c6aab/w/144b6c1875f0d3e4c4572010/e/5b0f638f59c64f0fa4952573

This seems extremely odd to me because deleting constraints should allow more solutions to the sketch, not less. Any insight as to why this is happening?

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @Cyberphil, perhaps you could share a document with just a single problematic sketch to illustrate the problem.  Also make a short video showing which dimension you are deleting that causes the sketch to blowup.

Might it be possible to have a scenario where rather than being over-constrained, the sketch becomes indeterminant?  I can imagine that either case would be computationally challenging.