Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I apply a callout for a threaded fastener, in a drawing

DanRom624DanRom624 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Community Support
(In a drawing, in Onshape) 
I need to specify the thread of a fastener (screw, bolt, threaded rod, stud, hanger bolt...)
I am not interested in drawing a helix or something else, nor do I want to have a realistic look-a-like thread.
What I need, is a standardized simplified representation of the thread, i.e.: that the fastener's drawing has a thin line to represent the root of its thread, and a callout next to it, with the specifications of that thread.
(see also the image below)
I know how to do it for a hole (there is a specific icon/command in Onshape, "Hole callout"), but I couldn't find anything similar for fasteners.

Thank you 
Dan

What I need, is something like this...

Best Answer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    There is not parametric way to do this for external threads. You will need to note it with leaders manually, and draw your cosmetic threads on a sketch in the partstudio and show it it the drawing 

Answers

Answer ✓
    There is not parametric way to do this for external threads. You will need to note it with leaders manually, and draw your cosmetic threads on a sketch in the partstudio and show it it the drawing 
  • DanRom624DanRom624 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thank you, John !
    ... I suspected it... :-(
  • DanRom624DanRom624 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I have voted for the Improvement Request "External Cosmetic Threads", which describes an issue similar to the one I have.

If you have a similar problem, please vote as well. It is sitting there since 2017 and (as of today) it is in the top 5 of the open requests...
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6857/external-cosmetic-thread#latest
    Thanks for the link, looks like I was voted already. Good to always link these though 
  • Ole_Martin_MobeckOle_Martin_Mobeck Member Posts: 7 PRO
    DanRom624 said:
    I have voted for the Improvement Request "External Cosmetic Threads", which describes an issue similar to the one I have.

If you have a similar problem, please vote as well. It is sitting there since 2017 and (as of today) it is in the top 5 of the open requests...
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6857/external-cosmetic-thread#latest
    This is a much more important feature then visual external threads, as this would make a drawing look right. Today I am not able to draw threads for machining purpose like you show in your picture with M24 and M14.  Where can I Vote for such a improvement.
    There should be a Hole feature with threads, but for shaft.
  • Jozef_Benz67Jozef_Benz67 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    I can't believe that there is still no standard tool for this in Onshape. How can that be?
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe that there is still no standard tool for this in Onshape. How can that be?
    Presumably, the majority of Onshape users don't see the need for the feature.  If so, Onshape is probably spending development hours on features that are more desired by the bulk of the user base.  If you disagree, vote for the feature via the link above.