Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Everything in One Part Studio

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I just browsed the public database and came over this: 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fa1a7cbb5bcddd4d3c15b594/w/3e48d0f7242bd8b6a82e8eb4/e/2c5668d21e533b9603812600

Here everything is made in the same part studio. I don't understand this logic. It seems mildly messy. 

What is the reason to do something like this?

Has this maybe been an import of some kind? 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Bad - don't do it. If the parts are not physically related, make them in different Part Studios for better performance.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an import alright. Not the usual way to make parts yourself. Parasolid files from vendors quite often import like this but the assembly will be fine.
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this an import, all features are there.
    This look's like the Inventor style using a Skeleton, and he left everything in one Part Studio.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Bad - don't do it. If the parts are not physically related, make them in different Part Studios for better performance.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    I've moved all the features that makes up the dishwasher into a folder, but how can I move this folder to a new part studio?;)

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    You can't move features between part studios through a copy/paste sort of method yet since they depend on the state of the part studio produced by the previous features. However, you can duplicate the part studio by right-clicking on the tab, and then you can delete any other features that you don't need.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com