Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can documents be save as PDF files?

My students love OnShape!  They are creating and want to use their drawings and documents a part of their learning portfolios.  Is there a way to save 3D documents, not just spec sheets, as PDF files so that they can be uploaded to the learning portfolios? 

Best Answer

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Answer ✓
    2D images are definitely the lowest common denominator and very worthwhile, but... 

If the students aren't going to have access to Onshape in the future, saving their work as STEP files would allow them to at least show the 3D in just about any CAD program later. They would miss the feature tree and history, but it would be better than nothing.

Answers

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    There isn't a way to export a 3D PDF from Onshape yet.

I would recommend instead adding high-resolution screenshots (3 bar top left menu --> Print...) together with a link to the live Onshape document. Linking to a version will make sure the design is stable for anyone who looks at the portfolio. I think it's more likely that someone viewing the portfolio will have a browser than a 3D PDF viewer, so it should be easier to access and view, too. This is what I currently do for my portfolio.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • danny_delgado780danny_delgado780 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Thank you. That is what they decided as well. Thanks for the response.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Answer ✓
    2D images are definitely the lowest common denominator and very worthwhile, but... 

If the students aren't going to have access to Onshape in the future, saving their work as STEP files would allow them to at least show the 3D in just about any CAD program later. They would miss the feature tree and history, but it would be better than nothing.
  • danny_delgado780danny_delgado780 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Thanks for that tidbit!