Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Unable to use named views in Onshape drawings

EtDusEtDus Member Posts: 4 PRO
edited January 2021 in Drawings
Good morning fellow OS users,

I am having trouble using named views (Specific orientation with a section view) in a drawing. I am well aware of how I am supposed to do it since I did it in the past with a specific orientation only.
After creating the said named view, I try to select the orientation in the insert menu in drawing and the named view just doesn't show up..

So my question is: Should I be able to import a named view (Specific orientation with a section view) in a drawing or that feature is not developped yet? 

Best regards 

Comments

• francois_bouletfrancois_boulet Member Posts: 65 EDU
    Try to refresh page before selecting the named view
    La simplicité est la sophistication suprême.
    Léonard de Vinci
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Regen Drawing (ctrl+Q) will need to be done every time you update the model. 
  • EtDusEtDus Member Posts: 4 PRO
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for the replies,

Even if I refresh the drawing and the browser page, the named view doesn't show up. 

I created a named view with a specific orientation and it does show up.
    It makes me think it doesn't work because of the section view....

Have you guys tried to make a named view with a section view and successfully inserted it in a drawing ?

Can't wait to have answers to this problem...

n.b I tried it with an assembly and a PS
  • francois_bouletfrancois_boulet Member Posts: 65 EDU
    You're right,
    There is a problem with section view and named view.
    Maybe you should ask for an IR on this
    La simplicité est la sophistication suprême.
    Léonard de Vinci
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Did this ever get resolved? I have modeled a workshop and I want to put each wall in a drawing sheet, but I would need to be able to insert a section view of my assembly. Display States does not work and my named views that I have created don't show up as options. Does anyone know how to get around this?
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    @derek_ward

You wouldn't normally insert a section view directly (i.e. a view of the 3D model already cut) in a drawing as you would be missing "context" so I believe the omission of named section views from drawings in intentional.
    You can however create a section view of an existing drawing view. In you case I would insert a top view of your workshop and then create sections showing what you want from there.
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Thank you @eric_pesty! I think that a section view will work.