Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to export a 3D curve to IGES?

brad_phelanbrad_phelan Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
See https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c4caaec650b8a1544414f898/w/1fb32a528d11b2b7fabbbbe2/e/c2703e0e53b82124419d2fe1

I'd like to be able to export the curve as shown below so I can use the curve to drive some CAM algorithm I'm developing in external software. Is this possible in anyway?

Comments

• brad_phelanbrad_phelan Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I see comments here https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14896/exporting-wireframes that suggest it should be possible but I don't see how to do it.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    You can only export curves along with every other body in the Part Studio - right-click the tab at the bottom. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thanks :) I can delete all other objects and just leave the curves as a work around. Can I suggest that there be a right click export for curves just like there is for parts. It would make discovering the capability easier.

By all means suggest away in the improvement request category on the right ——>. 😊
    Ok I'll get around to that. However one last question. What units are the IGES files exported in. For STL export you can pick units but for IGES not.
    Ok. I've discovered using an IGES viewer that the model is exported in meters units. 
    The underlying length units in Onshape are meters, but formats like IGES, STEP etc. include the units as part of the definition so it doesn’t matter. STL on the other hand....