Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Speed problems ?

guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
Is anyone experiencing speed problems lately?
I am located in Haifa , Israel
Last 2 days has been terrible many documents would not open or would ooen after 20 min , we can not work for 2 days now.
is it just me ?
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Please open a support ticket. Issues like this are top priority but are usually localised so you probably won’t get other people reporting the same. The support ticket will help us to pinpoint where the problem lies and fix it. Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    Thanks Neil
    I have opened a call
  • sidd_laksidd_lak Member Posts: 1 EDU
    @guy_rogel I totally agree. My Onshape has been going really slow. This isn't a network issue from my perspective, cause when I delete the onshape tab, I immediatley am able to move around faster. I request Onshape staff to take a look into this problem so that us users can efficiently make our design, thanks.
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    As a complaint intended to be constructive I also routinely experience very slow speeds.  Every few days  things will come to a crawl and then pickup the next day.  Has been two days now though, that things have been pretty slow for me.  Especially drawings.  Anytime I check my internet speed I've always got around 100mbps download and 10mbps up.  Sometimes it feels like onshape it slow to send a signal back.  Sometimes when adding a drawing dimension, I have to hover over a line and wait for 5 to ten seconds before the line lights up registering I'm hovering.  Sometimes I move a drawing view and it seems like nothing will happen and then the view will sort of move very slowly in very small steps about 0.25 seconds apart.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @shawn_crocker Please see Neil's comment above.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @ilya_baran thanks. I did my share of complaining about speed when first starting out with onshape directly to support. I will say it did seem to decrease the regularity of speed reductions(or I at least managed to fool myself into believing it). A point that should be made is this. I can stream a 1080p video off Netflix or YouTube and over the span of a month might see a video stop for buffering maybe two or three times. That 1080p video is using alot of bandwidth. I could also stream the video and use Onshape at the same time and not see much difference in Onshape performance. Given that Onshape makes a strong point for promoting the idea that it is fairly light duty and most things are being done on the servers, and that I can stream video while using onshape, I believe it. It leads me to believe the issue with slow downs is more about server loading then internet speed. Especially when the slow downs happen usually around be the same time of the day. And doing a speed test during the slow down registers the same speed as what is usual during the faster Onshape times. I admit and hope there may be other things at work here that I don't understand.  I'm hoping Onshape could do something to better enlighten us about the cause. Maybe just say ya, is server loading causing the slow down. I certainly won't hate Onshape for admitting that. Onshape is wonderful even if it slows down somtimes. I just have a problem with blindly complaining about the same issue to support over and over. I would much prefer to be helped in understanding the issue so I can feel confident in when it is nessesary to send in a report rather than a complaint.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @shawn_crocker You may want to take a look at a blog post I wrote two years ago on the subject: https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/articles/under-the-hood-cad-performance
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc