Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why can't I create a mate connector in between these entities?

dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
I want to put a mate connector in between these entities in order to make a revolute mate with the center of the cylindrical axle. I was previously using a slider mate in conjunction with a planar mate (mate connector between the angled bar), but the rack and pinion relation doesn't allow me to select slider mates (despite the degrees of freedom being the same as if I had created a revolute mate). I know a similar question has been asked before but that was back in March 2016, I was wondering if a solution had been found to this yet?
"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

Answers

• dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
    Never mind I can select a degree of freedom from the slider mate.

But my question about making a mate connector between those entities still stands
    "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Could have sworn I'd used exactly that in the past but unable to make work today.
    Can be done in the part studio but will not work between separate parts in assembly.
    Looks like a malfunction that should go through OS support.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3eaf3e626a7a392b69bfffc7/w/5dca553846afdb7920f2356c/e/c94ef4e529d2ce1fb31f21d2
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited February 2021
    I just came across this today as well. When using the "Between entities" option for creating a mate connector at the midpoint between two selections, the two selections must be on the same body.
    It looks like your selections are on different bodies - which may be why the feature will not complete.

The feature works below because the two selected faces are on the same part.

In your assembly above, could you achieve the same functionality with a Mate Connector at the center of the rods instead of the faces of the green parts at the ends of the rods?
  • dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
    I just came across this today as well. When using the "Between entities" option for creating a mate connector at the midpoint between two selections, the two selections must be on the same body.
    It looks like your selections are on different bodies - which may be why the feature will not complete.

The feature works below because the two selected faces are on the same part.

In your assembly above, could you achieve the same functionality with a Mate Connector at the center of the rods instead of the faces of the green parts at the ends of the rods?
    No, the mate connector in the middle of the cylindrical rod is already being used. The only other mate connector that is coplanar would be the center of the angle bar, which would not allow for a revolute mate. It's not a huge deal because the rack and pinion relation allows me to select the rotational degree of freedom from a cylindrical mate, but nevertheless allowing mate connectors to be created between two different parts would be extremely useful.

Also, sorry for the plug but is anybody able to answer my related question?
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/15561/how-do-i-use-mates-relations-to-simulate-rolling-down-a-curved-ramp#latest