Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations & Drawings

PAHPAH Member Posts: 17 EDU
I am making a drawing package for my students of a project. I used configuration to create different sizes. When I update the assembly to the configuration for a student the assembly updates and my top level drawing on sheet 1 updates but the piece parts on Sheets 2 & 3 stay at default regardless of the configuration on the parts studio.

1. How do I make all drawings reflect 1 configuration?
2. Is there a boolean variable that I can use to turn on and off multiple features?
3. Is there a way to have a variable for student name that will show up on each drawing page?
4. When I turn off a feature, the feature is not shown on the drawing when updated but the dimensions stay and turn red because the feature is gone. Is there a way to hide dimensions when the feature is off?

I have linked a simple model to demonstrate the problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Change between config 6 & 8 and you will see some features disappear but not on all drawings.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/89838d5846fc5695e175cf0b/w/53c564797d24cf9e3a352bca/e/f66779b0acef2d440172f4b4

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot going on here, but I think you're on the right track. 
    1. To get configurations sorted, you'll probably need to make assembly configurations to match your part configurations. Using your example, you can create assembly configurations for "6" and "8". Each of those assembly configurations should then change the part configuration to either "6" or "8", respectively. Then, when you create your drawings, you can right click on drawing view and select "change configuration" to select the correct configuration you want. Repeat the "change configuration for the assembly views as well as the part views and everything will show the correct configuration. 
    2. No, I don't think you can do this, but I think that's a good idea that's worth submitting an improvement request for!
    3. You can't do this with a variable, but you can do this with properties. In your assembly configurations, there should be a "configured properties" tab. This will allow you to change assembly properties based on the configuration chose. So, find a property that's not being used like "title 3" and configure that property to be the student's name. Then, in your drawing, you can create a note and reference that property within the note. 
    4. No - I don't think there's a way to do this. I would get one drawing package set up the way you want it, then duplicate the whole tab. In the new tab, go through the drawing views to update the configurations, then go back through and clean up the dimensions. I don't think there's a way around this cleanup step, but the bulk of your stuff should come through just fine when you duplicate the drawing tab. 
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Tim, great suggestions!

Two additions:
    On 2, you can use a check box configuration if manual control is ok. However, I don't think it's possible to suppress features based on a calculated value at the moment.
    On 3, it's possible that the "Drawing drawn by" or "Drawing last changed by" options in the note tool will give you what you want.

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com