Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Part Studios in created in context are moving away from origin with each "update context"?

dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
Hi everyone, the above has been affecting one of my project documents for some time now. I was wondering if someone knew the reason and a possible solution?

This is one of the part studios being affected. Every time I hit update context, the piece created in context shifts to the left of the image for some reason. Sketch 1 of this part studio is drawn on "Context 1", and the actual assembly hasn't changed so this is confusing me.

I know it doesn't matter as long as the dimensions are right, since I can easily mate these features together in the correct configuration inside the assembly. But given a future situation, I'm not sure I'd have that luxury? Here is the assembly for context:

Thanks in advance if someone can/is willing to help out!
"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

Answers

• Options
    Note: this is also making the mirror function weird since mirroring across front plane doesn't work for this. Of the three part studios created in context of the assembly, two are having this problem and the other seems to be working normally.
    "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    If you make the document public and post the link it would be easier to help answer. I have a thought as to the problem but better to know than post a guess. 
    Glen
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Fisher said:
    If you make the document public and post the link it would be easier to help answer. I have a thought as to the problem but better to know than post a guess. 
    Glen
    Thanks for the reply!
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/22f52aaa74d3e549cc1e793f/w/993be14b781fedb72413ea4c/e/10b8e6208d737f6814994d2c
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Dawen

I see 2 parts in the side support part studio but only one used in the assembly. It appears the original part was sketched using an in context work plane while the second one was sketched on the first part giving an offset of 1 material thickness. With part 2 being fixed to side braces in assembly it's working plane in context is shifted by the material thickness. Doesn't affect the assembly but shows two planes in context but only one when working directly in the part studio. Can be a little confusing while getting used to.

Glen
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I don't have time to dig into your case at the moment, but when I've seen that happen in the past, I had created a self-referential loop of some kind. For example Part A references Part B, then Part B references Part A. Luckily it doesn't crash everything like it would if contexts updated live. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    This sounds like fun. There was a bug in Solidworks like this where using Insert Part at a coordinate system would cause sketches to move each time you regenerated. Maybe the same engineer worked on this too. ;P