Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ribs dont stop!

thomas_taborthomas_tabor Member Posts: 8 EDU
Trying to add some ribs to a part. However when I activate the RIB feature the ribs blow through the sides of the part and extend down into never never land.  I was using a hexagon to layout the line pattern, but even blew that out and tried a simple line with similar results.  Rib should be similar to the WEB feature in f360, correct?

Thank you!

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Don't know the web feature in f360 - can you share your doc public?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • thomas_taborthomas_tabor Member Posts: 8 EDU
    This should be a link to my drawing.  This is actually the Titan 10M, and trying to follow along with the F360 video in the Titan academy, and this is where the stumble comes in with some of the differences.  If you go to the Rib 1 and flip it to edit, you will see how the ribs pass through:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4b0ee68186a51b2ccac6cc01/w/4313a42d114935afb9a6b9d3/e/78569438065dbfe87174542e
    OK the way to do this in Onshape is extrude your sketch using a surface and extend it to the bottom of the part, then use the Thicken feature to make solid ribs.
    BTW - I went through the Titan 9M video the other day and it was just plain awful - I would not recommend following these videos (even with f360) - the modeling techniques they use are really bad practice.
  • thomas_taborthomas_tabor Member Posts: 8 EDU
    i have often wondered what "proper" techniques are.  From watching guys like John Saunders to those folks in the Titan videos, different techniques and plan of attacks for sure.

Thank you for the advice on using "extrude & thicken) I will give that a shot.  About 1 am this morning I actually had thought about the Extrude side of it, but didn't know the ability of the thicken command.  Thank goodness for these communities!