Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fixings (nuts & bolts) in parts studio for configurations?

a_gorea_gore Member Posts: 11 PRO
Configurations is a great feature but I'm not currently able to achieve what I would like to with it. For example, I have created a frame in a parts studio, normally I would've had a number of different part studio drawings for the different frame components and then bring them together in an assembly but to have the configurations I want I have all the parts in one parts studio, not a problem but what about fixings (nuts & bolts). I don't want to draw my own standard fixings in a parts studio but the alternative is that I have to add the fixings after I have configured the frame in a assembly

Is there another way? 

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Answer ✓
    No, because Part Studios are not for creating assemblies, but they are useful for designing parts together. For correct BOM and Standard Content, assemblies is the way to go.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    Have you tried using the Beams feature? https://www.onshape.com/en/features/custom-features

Once you have drawn the frame using Beams, insert the entire Part Studio into an assembly and add the Standard Content there.
  • Options
    Hi Neil, thanks for your comments, the frame is made with the beams feature but it also has a number of bespoke part attached within the parts studio which require standard content. Is there any other option than adding the standard content in the assembly each time a create a new assembly?
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    No, because Part Studios are not for creating assemblies, but they are useful for designing parts together. For correct BOM and Standard Content, assemblies is the way to go.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks Neil.