Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape Keyshot Plugin

Just looking for some resources on the plugin, 
Familiar with the solidworks plugin which works great.

How can you update the keyshot scene with updates from onshape after imported once into onshape, secondly can you export a .step / .obj or use the plugin tool to import an assembly in its exploded state? for instance a main assembly you in onshape select to activate the exploded view can you then export that with all the parts in their exploded positions?

In solidworks for instance if I have a part file and i have two parts modelled in position relative to one part (the part they would be assembled to) I am able to supress or delete feature either part then update the keyshot scene and it will update all the instances of that part (Duplicates) ive created with the other part, I can then toggle in the part file which body i am deleting, it makes for a really useful quick iterative process.

Just wondering if there are some more resources on the plugin, or peoples experiences with it.

Cheers,
Ryan

Comments

• ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    found this video from 5 years ago going over keyshot 6 (we are now at keyshot 10) but seems functionality is much the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krxQdeozAAI
    Think the solidworks plugin has had a little more refinement.

But has anyone got info about the exploded views? / animating exploded views from onshape.

• ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Just bumping this, exporting explode animations would be nice, also I don't understand why you cant use a version reference as the import? ony workspaces within the document?? seems strange..
  • Brad_StebbingBrad_Stebbing Member Posts: 1
    I find it frustrating you can't select the configuration within a part studio too.  Seems a very limited plugin at this stage...
    The solidworks plugin works much better in my opinion, keyshot is a pretty industry standard program would be good to see some improvements here.
    the plugin is more or less useless in my opinion, the update button never works, I'd like to be able to update a scene from the original workspace import even if there was no change IE just reset the seen in case you have made modifications to surfaces etc. looks like I will have to stick to exporting .step files out of onshape.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I also don't use the KeyShot plugin. I just export step files from Onshape. A long time ago I wrote in the KeyShot forum about the missing configurations, but I got no replies.