Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best Fit Surface on a Point Cloud

What is the best way to create a surface using points created in multiple sketches? I am working on a boat hull. The shape is defined by a table of Offsets. These are points measure up from a base, and over from a center plane. Back in the BC days(Before Computers), these points were taken from a scale model created for the desired hull shape. Obviously the resolution in these tables are thus fairly corse. I'm translating a Table of Offsets from1936. Their units are feet- inches-eights. And a "+" or "-" sign to represent a smidgen in one direction or another. So I have 100+ points that now need best fit curvature applied to them. I have attempted to create vertical splines contained by 3d splines and use the FILLED SURFACE feature. When I attempt to use the intermediate vertical splines as guides, it doesn't cooperate. Ideas? Suggestions?

Answers

• Options
    robert_schartowrobert_schartow Member Posts: 8 PRO

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited March 2021
    Instead of using 3D splines, try creating 2D splines and manually fit them to your vertical rib measurements.

When creating a 2D spline, it is tempting to use all of the data points. Try to use as few spline points as possible to get a smooth spline.

For more detailed help, you can make your document public and post the link here.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    robert_schartowrobert_schartow Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Can't make it public due to copyright restrictions on the data points. But I have created 2d splines on each of the sketch planes to connect the best data point sets. Then created a 3D spline across the top which creates the planksheer. I can create a surface between each section of vertical splines but cannot set the edges to match curvature, so there is not a smooth transition between each. And for some reason I cannot make a larger surface and use the vertical splines a guides. Not sure why. I was able to do it in the past. 

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited April 2021
    Lofting is very tedious. Every guide has to be perfectly placed. If you are still having trouble with this later, send me a pm and I will sign an nda for you. You could then temporarily add me to the document in order to trouble shoot.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I will sign an nda for you. You could then temporarily add me to the document in order to trouble shoot.
    Now that's some above-and-beyond forum help, haha.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl