Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tapped holes do not show threads in 3D view, as well not in stl export for 3D printing.

sebastian_gehrlingsebastian_gehrling Member Posts: 5
edited April 2021 in Community Support
Hi everyone, the latest thread talking about this issue is from 2016 or at least I did not found a newer one.
What is it about the magic of tapped holes in Onshape. It never required my so much intense trouble and searching, however everything found about it is way old and shows difficult tutorials with helix and cutting operations. I just wand to have some simple threads in holes which can be exported in stl for printing. What do I miss here?

The feature tool "Hole" offers me everything I dreamed of but why do tapped holes only show up in drawings? They are neither visible in 3D view nor they get exported for printing parts.
Please apologize if I missed the topic somewhere else in this forum.

Happy weekend!!!
Sebastian

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    The "hole" tool does not actually create a 3D model of the threads. The hole that's modeled shows the geometry of the hole after drilling, but before tapping. Then, there's metadata associated with the hole to correctly populate the drawing annotations. 

This is done because threads can be complex features and adds little value to most 3D models (they're often too small show visually, and are sufficiently communicated with a simple thread callout on the drawing).  Models with lots of threads and fasteners could end up so slow that they'd be unusable. 

So, if you actually need a model of the threads, you're left to model them manually using helix and cutting operations. 
  • jim_farruggiajim_farruggia OS Professional Posts: 3 PRO
    Try using Thread Creator. It's a custom feature made with Feature Script. It works great and it free
  • sebastian_gehrlingsebastian_gehrling Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2021
    Try using Thread Creator. It's a custom feature made with Feature Script. It works great and it free

Hi Jim, thank you for your answer. I only used adding a feature once and it confuses me always how many results are presented. As there are no more informations shown it is difficult which Thread Creator to use. I found "Featurescript -Thread Creator" and "FS Thread Creator". Which one to use? I even don't know if I need to filter for a document or a feature studio. The later makes more sense from naming but doesn't offer a Thread Creator. 
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU

Hi Jim, thank you for your answer. I only used adding a feature once and it confuses me always how many results are presented. As there are no more informations shown it is difficult which Thread Creator to use. I found "Featurescript -Thread Creator" and "FS Thread Creator". Which one to use? I even don't know if I need to filter for a document or a feature studio. The later makes more sense from naming but doesn't offer a Thread Creator. 
    Try going to the Community Spotlight section for FeatureScripts and then looking for one called "PP_ThreadCreator Beta".  That's the one that I use and it has worked for me.

• sebastian_gehrlingsebastian_gehrling Member Posts: 5
    Great, thank you! Found it!
  • DoglikeDoglike Member Posts: 10
    Is this it? How do I use it? Like, how do I apply it to another document? Maybe I'm a dummy, but I don't understand how to use Feature Scripts. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/c953720c264ce001f1a82dc1