Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

FIRST Robotics parts

I am recently retired from the University of Michigan - Flint and am volunteering at Kettering University as a FIRST robotics mentor. I have two questions for you. How can I collaborate with my students on their designs is the first one. The second is can I download the Kit of Part for the robot into the web so that I might use them. Their are different formats that I might be able to use such as Autodesk, PTC Creo  and Solidworks. I have taught Creo at the U of M Flint as a substitute instructor. The program looks familiar with others that I have used and I don't believe that I will have a large learning curve and hope to get the students going quickly on this. Thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

Comments

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 203 EDU
    When using Onshape you can share work with others using the 'Share button' at the top right of a document.
    Which site are you getting your robots from?  Sounds interesting!

As to which format is best to import to Onshape I will have to hope others with more knowledge of these things can help.

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    @john_o_brien953 Here's a link to a PDF with information for using Onshape for FIRST
    https://www.onshape.com/global-assets/documents/first-robotics/onshapeforfirstteams.pdf

There are a number of teams that already use Onshape and have created parts libraries for FTC and FRC that they share. The PDF has info about both, as well as links to videos and Learning Center resources that other teams have found useful to help you get started.

Also, here is a link to a YouTube video about using Onshape to collaborate for FIRST that has some tips and tricks you might find useful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI3ZQBUJkzM
    I still recommend going to the Learning Center and taking one of the paths or self-paced courses for a more thorough introduction though!