Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Subassembly component suppression for Configurations

jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
For the purposes of configurations, I need to "overload" a subassembly with components.  In other words, I need to place bolts in the sub-assembly to populate all possible locations used in the upper-level assembly.  However, in the upper-level assembly, I cannot suppress the unused bolts for the different configurations. 

Is there a way to allow bolts - in this case - to be placed in optional places depending on the configuration used?   The "Assembly Configurations" training video shows the antenna being moved around for different configurations but I cannot figure out how to use that in this case.

Best Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Can you create configurations for your sub-assembly? Then, your top-level configuration can just assign the correct configuration for the sub-assembly?
  • jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    Answer ✓
    Humm...  I don't know.  Let me try that...  You are saying that I can select configurations from the subassembly??  (I'm still a little new with Onshape...)

Answers

Answer ✓
    Can you create configurations for your sub-assembly? Then, your top-level configuration can just assign the correct configuration for the sub-assembly?
    Answer ✓
    Humm...  I don't know.  Let me try that...  You are saying that I can select configurations from the subassembly??  (I'm still a little new with Onshape...)
    HA!, you are a genius, @tim_hess427.  Thanks...
    Glad it helped!