Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing files from Rhino not working

Hi, i've been trying to import a document from rhino in extension .3dm, STEP and Obj. and it hasn't been able to open the models. In the notification center it says that it completed/uploaded and them it says "Importing..." and it looks like it never finishes importing properly. Does anyone know how to fix this or what i could try to get the models to open? I mostly need it to make the technical drawings of all the pieces in the 3D model. I´m kind of in a time crunch and really stressing, any helo would be welcome!! Thanks in advance!

Update> just checked and it changes from "importing..." to "transition failed" PLEASE HELP! I'm slightly desperate ><. 

Best Answer

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    @victoria_delfos

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the stress point! Here are a few quick ideas for you to try.  Others on forum may have other thoughts... Please let us know how it goes.

Hopefully you have access and can do some things in Rhino.
    1) Can you successfully export/import other jobs?
    2) If so, can you try a simpler version of your problem one?
    3) We have had IGES work from Rhino.  (sorry @NeilCooke) :wink:
    4) If you have access to another translator/CAD package, see if that brings in your document. (and then you may be able to export/import from there to Onshape.

The error you are seeing is the file uploaded OK and then failed to translate.
    www.accuratepattern.com

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    @victoria_delfos

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the stress point! Here are a few quick ideas for you to try.  Others on forum may have other thoughts... Please let us know how it goes.

Hopefully you have access and can do some things in Rhino.
    1) Can you successfully export/import other jobs?
    2) If so, can you try a simpler version of your problem one?
    3) We have had IGES work from Rhino.  (sorry @NeilCooke) :wink:
    4) If you have access to another translator/CAD package, see if that brings in your document. (and then you may be able to export/import from there to Onshape.

The error you are seeing is the file uploaded OK and then failed to translate.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    victoria_delfosvictoria_delfos Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Hi @bruce_williams , thanks for answering and all the suggestions! I don't know how but after a couple of hours of trying the same method of importing a rhino file with the extension .3dm it finally opened!! I just saw your response so I didn't get the chance to try your suggestions but will have them on hand for the future. I can only assume the system wasn't working properly at the time but the issue seems to be fixed! Thanks again, all the best, Victoria.