Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can i cut this hole since extrude isn't working?

avery_westavery_west Member Posts: 6
I am trying to cut a hole on the back of my design with a sketch of a little star but it's not working, I may be making an obvious oversight but any help is appreciated :)
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/08cbe446531a7da1fab4b480/w/e78ef0c1945f49c548f62090/e/26859a27374a2ac2eda2afa2

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
    edited May 2021
    Is this what you want?  MainBack.ipt - Copy | MainBack (onshape.com)

edit:

Should have added incase you were not aware, you cannot extrude remove through a surface.  There are different ways to do this but usually you need to split the face and then delete it.  In your case, the sketch geometry was set to construction which further added to the inability to complete your task.  sketch geometry that is to be used to operate on things cannot be set to construction.
  • Options
    "Failed to load document for workspace. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it."

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 272
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    The star's contour is construction geometry, so you can't extrude that region. Edit the sketch, select the curve, and press q. Extrude should work then. Edit: depending on what kind of effect you're going for, you might not need the Fill feature either.
  • Options
    _anton said:
    The star's contour is construction geometry, so you can't extrude that region. Edit the sketch, select the curve, and press q. Extrude should work then. Edit: depending on what kind of effect you're going for, you might not need the Fill feature either.
    I'm just trying to make it so that there is a hole in the shape of the star instead of the hole made by the blue 
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 272
    Answer ✓