Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

the hardware requirements

for the Onshape Team
dear Developers
why chapter Hardware and Graphics Performance Recommendations does not contain a table like this

3d model/assembly complexity   |   hardware requirements

?

for examle

< 173000 spline surface       |   CPU: a'la Pentium II
or < 592007 instances in      |   RAM: 512MB
assembly                                  |   graphic card - GPU a'la GeForce 3, RAM 128MB

perhaps this information is located another place...

Best Answer

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Answer ✓

Hi @ Alexy_Kougerman,

This is a good question. I'll take a look at the page and see we can make improvements to it.

I don’t speak for the entire Onshape organization, but as a developer there are a couple of reasons why we don’t have a table like the one you ask for:

1. Too many variables: Onshape is designed to run on different OS, CPU, GPU, Browsers
         Unlike traditional desktop applications Onshape runs on a lot more configurations. To be of any value we need to create a table that involves all these different configurations. Our focus has been to give you the best possible performance on any given platform.

2. User requests / Priority

Our advice to users has been to try Onshape out on the platforms of their choice. With Onshape this is easier to do, because you don’t need to install an application to test it out. Most users go this route or turn to the forum.

User requests helps us prioritize features. You can create an improvement request to get information to be published, this will help us.

Lastly if there is something impeding your work, please contact support, they will be able to guide you.

Paul

Answers

• Alexy_KougermanAlexy_Kougerman Member Posts: 8
    ok, I will try to reformulate my question...

dear Developers, Onshape Team
    could I get specific recommendations from you for the selection of hardware based on the known modeling conditions?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I think your best option is to search the forums here for different people's reported experience with different hardware setups. People have shared their setups and impressions of them.

I think it would be hard to give a good recommendation based solely on the part geometry, since thing like your internet speed and latency can have a big effect, independent of geometry.  Additionally, when recalculating a model, your modeling technique can have a big impact on speed as well. Things like the use of patterns, variables, linked documents, derived features, etc. can all have a big impact on how quickly your model regenerates.

From a pure rendering standpoint, the best recommendations I've seen are to just get decent gaming type graphics cards. My models are moderately complex and I have no issues with a really low-end graphics card in my laptop. The models are work-able with integrated graphics, but just a little slower.
    edited May 2021
    I think ...

you said: "to search the forums here for different people's reported experience"
    in that case why here the Developer does not provide information "for all questions about the hardware, depending on your tasks, please contact the forum"

you said: "... your internet speed and latency ... the use of patterns, variables, linked documents, derived features, etc ..."
    that is, the main criteria are listed and if their sizes/values will be linked in some way with hardware, it will be great
    I know for sure the hardware for modeling a car is suitable for modeling a manual meat grinder and the hardware on which you can still draw a meat grinder is not suitable for cars

by the way, about Internet Connection the Developer writes: "... it does not require constant use of a high bit-rate"
    high bit-rate? what is it? how many?10Mb/s, is it high bit-rate? but may be 50Mb/s is high bit-rate?

you said: "... decent gaming type graphics cards ... a really low-end graphics card ..."
    as well as the Developer: "... you don't need an expensive graphics card, a low-end gamer card ... More GPU RAM will enable more ..."
    decent, really low-end, expensive, more GPU RAM - what is it? how many/much?

@tim_hess427
    thanks a lot for your trying to explain ...
    but I'm curious if the Developer (dear Onshape Team) has anything to say about this point  :)
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Answer ✓

Hi @ Alexy_Kougerman,

This is a good question. I'll take a look at the page and see we can make improvements to it.

I don’t speak for the entire Onshape organization, but as a developer there are a couple of reasons why we don’t have a table like the one you ask for:

1. Too many variables: Onshape is designed to run on different OS, CPU, GPU, Browsers
         Unlike traditional desktop applications Onshape runs on a lot more configurations. To be of any value we need to create a table that involves all these different configurations. Our focus has been to give you the best possible performance on any given platform.

2. User requests / Priority

Our advice to users has been to try Onshape out on the platforms of their choice. With Onshape this is easier to do, because you don’t need to install an application to test it out. Most users go this route or turn to the forum.

User requests helps us prioritize features. You can create an improvement request to get information to be published, this will help us.

Lastly if there is something impeding your work, please contact support, they will be able to guide you.

Paul

edited May 2021
    hey Paul
    I quite see
    thanks

this

Our advice to users has been to try Onshape out on the platforms of their choice
    is my case :)

my task is creating 3d model of light airplane

and bellow is my hardware walking:

CPU 2.2GHz(2 cores); RAM 2GB
    graphics: integrated GPU (like IntelHD)
    Win8.1; Firefox(last version)
    internet: 50Mb/s
    for

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU 2.7GHz(2 cores); RAM 4GB
    graphics: GeForce710; RAM 1GB
    Win7; Firefox(last version)
    internet: 100Mb/s
    for

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU 3.2GHz(6 cores); RAM 8GB
    graphics: GeForce710; RAM 1GB
    Win7; Chrome(last version)
    internet: 100Mb/s
    for

and now I see that it needs to upgrade my hardware

... if there is something impeding your work, please contact support ...
    yes, I will contact support for advice on additional settings or upgrading