Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

select multiple tabs?

charleycharley OS Professional Posts: 20 ✭✭
I'd like to be able to select multiple tabs to delete them simultaneously.  Is there a way?

Comments

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    charley, we can not select multiple tabs to delete them simultaneously,whatever we choose them from tab list or at the bottom of the webpage,we just can click them one by one.So maybe we can suggest if "delete" icon can be added to the every tab like the eye icon in the tab list,and we can delete any tab from tab list directly. 

• shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    I guess deleting multiple tabs in Onshape may not be provided just because document need some mode of security for maintaining the data. It may possible that any user creates multiple tabs, say 40 or more and name of each tab looks similar to each other due to specific naming convention. That time while selecting multiple tabs for deleting there could be a small chance of selecting a tab which may be very important for design. User should be very confident about the tab name and inside design details before selection for deleting, because once it is deleted it can be restored only from history.
  • charleycharley OS Professional Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Like any other mistake that's easy to make, such mistakes as mentioned above could be remedied by going back in history.  I would much prefer it if, much like you can select and delete multiple features or components, etc., you could also do so with tabs.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @charley Yes. I am also agree with you for this concept. But what I was thinking that in real time collaboration multiple users are working in same or different tabs in single document and feature history is combined list created from all other users. Suppose any tab is deleted by user X, since for him/her it is not important. But another user Y has used some parts in the assembly from the tab which was deleted by X, so that makes that tab most important for Y. During the period of deleting the tab, Y may have worked in another tab with some addition of features, so user Y is unknown for some period that one of the tab is deleted by X. According to that the history sequence will be
    1. Deleted tab by  X
    2. Created number of features from Y in another tab
    So, to recover the tab, history will be restored at point-1 and it will come to point-3. But after restoring history, features created by user B before restore points will be lost. Situation could be worse if more than two users are working. It needs lot of communication between the users in this entire process.
    When features are deleted user can at least bring them back by undo button for that session. But it is not for the tabs. That could be the reason why it is not provided the selection of multiple tabs for deleting. But may be we can suggest that undo should also be possible to restore deleted tabs.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @shashank_aarya : that seems to me an intelligent and well-articulated scenario. 
    And I like your proposed resolution, so +1 from me
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Regarding making (and recovering from) such a mistake, see this discussion: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/6902/#Comment_6902
    Undo is currently managed per-tab (in other words, you undo the last thing you did in the current tab, not the last thing you did overall), which precludes undo from restoring deleted tabs, but I don't think we are married to that approach.  An implication of making undo per-document, rather than per-tab would be that you wouldn't be able to switch to, say, a part studio and undo the last change you made to that part studio (if you made changes to other tabs since).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Thanks ilya for the clarification.

It seems to me it would be a shame to lose tab-specific Undo. But I wonder if we could not have our cake and eat it, too? (or, as they used to say in Italy, "a full wine-barrel and a drunk wife")

ON EDIT

If @shashank_aarya's suggestion is not appealing (a command dedicated to undoing tab deletions) :

Could there perhaps be an added (rather than alternative) undo option, called something equivalent to "undo document-wide change(s)"?

Alternatively, if that were to become the default behaviour, perhaps an RMB on an individual tab might include "undo local change(s)" ?

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @ilya_baran

If you (or anyone collaborating) accidentally deletes tab and doesn't notice this immediately.

1. How can you restore 'PS 4' in below image without losing Sketch 6 and Extrude 5?

I would suggest un-delete function into history for tabs. If there was option to just restore tab without actually going back in time it would be much better than 'Are you sure?' when deleting a tab (I wouldn't mind having both, tab can contain great load of workhours to be deleted without confirmation).

2. Is there anything specific happening if restoring document below 'Automatic upgrade'?

//rami
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    +1 for document element (tab) undelete. A trash-can "tab" would be the logical place to track them.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    +1 for undelete (Undo) option for get back part or assembly tab in document history.

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @3dcad

1. The thread I linked to above has a workaround using branching and merging to restore a deleted tab.  Obviously, that's not a great user experience.  Rather than a trash tab or an undelete tab option, I'd prefer we did a "selective restore" where you could select a bunch of items in history and undo their effects -- that would be more powerful and have tab deletion undo as a special case.  (Workspaces are a different matter -- there a trash can sounds very useful).

2. We are planning to do an under-the-hood blog post about our internal upgrade process at some point.  Here, without going into why, if you restore prior to an upgrade, you may see some new features become unavailable in your document.  You may also not be able to merge to/from other workspaces and sometimes you won't be able to copy/paste sketches between them.  This is all temporary until the workspace is upgraded again (either automatically or by being shared with support).  We are working to make this automatic upgrading even more painless.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc