Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude cut - can't cut through the whole part body?

I'm coming from Solidworks, where I can sketch on a plane, then cut-extrude through a body, including through gaps (like cutting a hole through all fins of a heat sink).

In OnShape, I'm not getting this to work. The part is here:

I'm trying to cut Extrude12 all the way through the part (making a vee relief). I'm not understanding why the cut doesn't propagate beyond the first solid element.

Answers

• Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Since Onshape supports multiple parts in the same part studio, many features have a Merge scope option which can be used to specify the parts that that feature should interact with. If you want to send an extrude cut through multiple parts, simply select each part you'd like the extrude to cut, or select the "Merge with all" option. Also be sure to set your extrude to an appropriate depth.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    I've just has a quick look but your model is view only so it is hard to say... I'm assuming you have changed the extrude remove from blind to through all. 
    If you make the model public then we can probably be more help :)
  • nick_demarco330nick_demarco330 Member Posts: 8
    @Ste_Wilson, the model is public - cannot make models publicly editable.

I did change the extrude remove from bind to through all because that's what I wanted to do - cut a sketch through all the surfaces.

@Alex_Kempen, did you look at the part? It is a single body, single part.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Extrude12 is set to Up to Next
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @NeilCooke
    I tried some other things after posting this. Since, I reverted the feature. Screenshot below.

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Your sketch 11 is on drafted face.so the cut is on that angle

Changed sketch to be normal to world (on mate connector rotated off bottom) and works fine. (see below)

www.accuratepattern.com
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    btw - it is good to make a version of the document when you post so we see the set up as is at time of issue.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    btw - it is good to make a version of the document when you post so we see the set up as is at time of issue.
    Bruce, that's a great point - not sure why I forget an OnShape document is really a piece of code. I'll bump a version now. Thank you.
    Your sketch 11 is on drafted face.so the cut is on that angle

Changed sketch to be normal to world (on mate connector rotated off bottom) and works fine. (see below)

Rookie mistake, only I'm not a rookie. I forgot I drafted that. Thank you!