Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

CloudMilling - Full-Cloud CAM Solution

michael_22michael_22 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

CloudMilling was created to democratize and modernize CAM. For too long, the market has been dominated by systems that are either out of reach, via monetary or other means, or are inadequate for the job.

We believe that anyone, and everyone, from hobbyists and students to professional engineers working at multi-billion dollar conglomerates should have access to the same CAM system.

In the same way, CloudMilling was also built to utilize the most used platform in the world: Mobile devices. Imagine using CAM at the machine to tweak the parameters in case you want to cut a job on a different machine, or with different stock. The possibilities are endless.

• Cloud-Based Solution - Use CloudMilling anywhere on any platform that has a browser, even on your mobile device. No need for expensive workstations.
  • Multi-Axis Machining - From 2-Axis to 5-Axis, CloudMilling can machine any job with its cutting-edge tool paths.
  • No Compromises - From hobbyists to professionals, CloudMilling can be used by anyone, without compromising expert features.
  • Zero Maintenance - With no hardware or licensing requirements, CloudMilling eliminates the use of license files, or dongles, and reduces the need for IT support.
  • Onshape Integration - Machine your Onshape parts easily with CloudMilling's full integration.

Visit the website.

Apply for the beta.

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Onshape integration: Does this mean that if we change the size of the model in Onshape, the tool paths will automatically update to fit the updated model?

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • michael_22michael_22 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Onshape integration: Does this mean that if we change the size of the model in Onshape, the tool paths will automatically update to fit the updated model?

Thanks for your question. Associativity is not currently implemented yet, but it will be in the future. At the moment, CloudMilling will notify you about any changes to a part studio and will let you regenerate the associated component.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    What machines have you developed postprocessors for so far?

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Wow, this looks like a great pricing, for both hobbyists home users and professional machine shops. Question on the hobbyists side: for $10 per part, is that $10 every time you post? Or $10 for multiple posts on the same part? For example, if I have a part that goes through 3 revisions until the design is final (and I machine each version), would it cost $10 to machine it in total, or $30? Thanks.
    edited July 2021

We have several post processors available:

• ISO NC
    • Heidenhain
    • Fanuc
    • Haas UMC-750
    • Hurco
    • A few others

We can create a post processor for your machine on request.

Wow, this looks like a great pricing, for both hobbyists home users and professional machine shops. Question on the hobbyists side: for $10 per part, is that $10 every time you post? Or $10 for multiple posts on the same part? For example, if I have a part that goes through 3 revisions until the design is final (and I machine each version), would it cost $10 to machine it in total, or $30? Thanks.
    The price is for a single version of a part. So, you can add, edit, and post tool paths, etc., but, if you change the part, you will be charged again. In the case of 3 revisions, you will be charged $30.

We are looking for feedback on this.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
    Mike
    ....snip...

The price is for a single version of a part. So, you can add, edit, and post tool paths, etc., but, if you change the part, you will be charged again. In the case of 3 revisions, you will be charged $30.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

If there is no geometry change, but it takes me (as a cnc hobbyist) 3 posted codes to eliminate my CAM mistakes and machine crashes, that part would cost $10 total, correct? But as soon as there is a geometry change from the originating CAD system, that is when there is an additional charge of $10 per each new import from the CAD system?

I signed up for the beta and fooled around with it for a while. I could not figure it out. I got as far as assigning a coord system on the stock box points. I could not figure out how to make a toolpath. Is there a training document/video on using it? I could also only import a step file from my local disk. I could not import a part studio part.

Thanks,
    Nick

....snip...

Thanks,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

If there is no geometry change, but it takes me (as a cnc hobbyist) 3 posted codes to eliminate my CAM mistakes and machine crashes, that part would cost $10 total, correct? But as soon as there is a geometry change from the originating CAD system, that is when there is an additional charge of $10 per each new import from the CAD system?

I signed up for the beta and fooled around with it for a while. I could not figure it out. I got as far as assigning a coord system on the stock box points. I could not figure out how to make a toolpath. Is there a training document/video on using it? I could also only import a step file from my local disk. I could not import a part studio part.

Thanks,
    Nick

Hi Nick,

That is correct.

We are planning to release a getting started video this week.

The basic concept of CloudMilling is Job -> Machine -> Setup -> Tool -> Tool Path, the same order as the buttons in the top left light up. I see that you managed to get to the Setup step. Next, you'll want to create a Tool operation, then you can finally create a Tool Path operation.

In order to import a Onshape Part Studio, you change the Component Source to Onshape when you add a Component. This will show Document, Workspace, and Part Studio, which you must select in that order.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭

• ISO NC
    • Heidenhain
    • Fanuc
    • Haas UMC-750
    • Hurco
    • A few others

Thanks.  Are the Pocket NC or Tormach mills and/or lathes on your radar?  I may be getting the former in future to play around with and so far as I know only Fusion 360 with the Machining Extension (~$1500 per year) supports that.

• ISO NC
    • Heidenhain
    • Fanuc
    • Haas UMC-750
    • Hurco
    • A few others

Thanks.  Are the Pocket NC or Tormach mills and/or lathes on your radar?  I may be getting the former in future to play around with and so far as I know only Fusion 360 with the Machining Extension (~$1500 per year) supports that.
    We can create any post processor that you require. Currently, we do not support lathes, but will be in the future.

Thanks,
    Mike
    edited July 2021

First impressions:

Note: I really want this to work, I think the idea is fantastic and could take over a lot of the CAM industry if it goes well.

- There were no email notifications from the beta application, I found the app in the app store at random.

I could not import a part from the current studio the app was located in.
    (Suggestion: Parts should be picked similarly to the import tool in the Onshape drawings.) 

- The app was viewing all of my documents, not just the one I placed it in. This is a security breach for me.
    (Suggestion: Only current studios from the current document should be shown.)

- The menu user interface was not intuitive. It is drop down menu after drop down menu. I could barely function with it.
    (Suggestion: Create a more visual menu user interface like Onshape studios or assemblies.)

- The machine axis options and tool path options were impressive. I was unable to test them due to the current menu interface and the amount of time I was willing to spend.

- Surprisingly, the app supports a 3D Connexion Space Mouse! Unfortunately, the movement was too laggy and slow to use efficiently. The standard right click mouse drag was fine.

Summary

- The menu user interface is not currently usable for the amount of time I am willing to spend.
    - Models from the current document need to be the import priority.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

First impressions:

Note: I really want this to work, I think the idea is fantastic and could take over a lot of the CAM industry if it goes well.

- There were no email notifications from the beta application, I found the app in the app store at random.

I could not import a part from the current studio the app was located in.
    (Suggestion: Parts should be picked similarly to the import tool in the Onshape drawings.) 

- The app was viewing all of my documents, not just the one I placed it in. This is a security breach for me.
    (Suggestion: Only current studios from the current document should be shown.)

- The menu user interface was not intuitive. It is drop down menu after drop down menu. I could barely function with it.
    (Suggestion: Create a more visual menu user interface like Onshape studios or assemblies.)

- The machine axis options and tool path options were impressive. I was unable to test them due to the current menu interface and the amount of time I was willing to spend.

- Surprisingly, the app supports a 3D Connexion Space Mouse! Unfortunately, the movement was too laggy and slow to use efficiently. The standard right click mouse drag was fine.

Summary

- The menu user interface is not currently usable for the amount of time I am willing to spend.
    - Models from the current document need to be the import priority.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback.

Usually, a receipt is sent straight away after you apply, and Onshape sends an email when you are added to the beta team.

We have now improved how we import Onshape Part Studios by using the integrated Onshape Selection UI.

Just to let you know, every app on Onshape can see all of your documents when you add/authorise it. The Onshape API doesn't allow more granular permissions, such as per document, it only allows per user or per company. You may need Onshape Enterprise for more control. However, with our new improvement, it should only show the document that you are currently in now.

If you don't mind, could you expand on what you mean by "a more visual menu user interface" so that we can improve CloudMilling?

About the Space Mouse, thank you for letting us know about this issue. We have tested this with many hardware configurations and many people and this is the first time that we have heard about this issue. The first thing to check is the 3DConnexion drivers. After this, it depends on whether you are using integrated graphics or not. If you are, then switch your browser to use the dedicated graphics card. This is also mentioned in the Onshape documentation. If all of this fails, would you be willing to share your document so that we can investigate this issue?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • shawnrwshawnrw Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Does anyone have a video of this in action?
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    I tried doing some simple parts, but the learning curve seems to be too steep. I tried some of the samples you sent over, but I still could not figure it out. 

A series of progressive videos would really help. For me this would look something like this:

Simple 2.5d part with some holes
    1. Part/Machine setup. The program does not allow assemblies so work arounds would be nice. 
    2. Tools/Holders/Speeds/Feeds
    3. Roughing
    4. Facing
    5. Profile
    6. Drill/Tap
    7. Post Process
    More complex 2.5d part
    1. Pockets/Closed Pockets
    2. Cbore/Chamfer
    3. Radii (form tool) and chambers
    Simple 3d part
    1. Surface Radii
    2. Ramps/Convex/Concave
    4-axis part

5-axis part

I am in love with the idea of cloudmilling! I think you have an advantage over traditional cam systems in that you can easily monitor the clicks. This allows you to streamline processes. Less clicks is always better! 

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    Cannot get it to load any parts anymore. Is anyone else seeing the issue?
    Is this thing still alive? I spent some time and figured out how to make a simple rectangle with rounded corners. I could not post any gcode. I even tried to buy it for the $10 per part (on the chance that would allow me to post g-code) and couldn't figure out how to buy.

Great news! This has been acquired by PTC / Onshape: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/19026/cam-coming-to-onshape#latest

• Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    Just wanted to note that the beta is now closed. We'll see that the original post is edited (if possible), or at the very least disable the Google form related to it. Sorry for any confusion.