Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mate Matching Surfaces

lorenz_poigerlorenz_poiger Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I would like to mate these two parts so that the surfaces are touching eachother (The parts will be welded). They both have the same radius and should fit together perfectly. Is there an easy way to do that? Or do I have to use the fastened mate? Tangential doesnt work, but I'm unsure if I understand how the function works.

Best Answer

• BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Answer ✓
    A fastened mate is probably the best way to go. You can mouse over the coped face to select mate connectors at the center of the curved surface (see screenshot). You may have to use an offset unless you want it exactly aligned with the midpoint of the larger part.

(link to my assembly)

Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador

Answers

• BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Answer ✓
    A fastened mate is probably the best way to go. You can mouse over the coped face to select mate connectors at the center of the curved surface (see screenshot). You may have to use an offset unless you want it exactly aligned with the midpoint of the larger part.

(link to my assembly)

Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited July 2021
    If they have the same center, cylindrical will give rotation + sliding, slider only sliding, and revolute only turning.

However, this looks like a static sort of frame, so I bet the design will come together better if you model it as a single part studio and use a group to hold everything together. In particular, the Beams custom feature might be useful using custom circular profiles:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e15c2c668d138f01242d0c80/w/0664d65a957c7bfba7cfbddd/e/2d5660fc1012df9598f00251

Edit: whoops, sorry @BenTaylor! Looks like I posted at the same time as you
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • lorenz_poigerlorenz_poiger Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I didn't realise the left part also generated mates for the cutout. Its very simple when I have those mates. Thank you Ben!

• lorenz_poigerlorenz_poiger Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    For data management reasons I cant use multi part studios, but it would be a good solution.