Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New FeatureScript - World Revolve

Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
Hello all,
Something I've always wanted to see added to the revolve feature is the ability to easily use a world axis to define the axis of a revolve. Since Onshape doesn't support datum axes by default, revolving around a world axis often means manually creating an arbitrary length construction line or manually selecting and reorienting a mate connector at the origin. This is tedious and annoying, and can also pose a challenge to new users who aren't familiar with the behavior of the revolve feature or the types of geometry which can be used to define a valid axis.

In order to solve these problems, I threw together a FeatureScript yesterday which adds the option of selecting a default axis to revolve around to the revolve feature. Since it is simply a modification of the existing revolve feature, it leaves all of the core functionality of the revolve feature untouched. It also generates color-coded axes with point manipulators which show the user the valid axes they can revolve their selection around, making it easy to select an appropriate axis to use.

If you want to try it for yourself, you can find the feature here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/01ff7dc2c65a71981aa23c0f/v/f741e64794d4a17d74fb6f65/e/21e0393d382af10f6f43909e

If you think this functionality should be available by default in the standard library, you can vote for the improvement request here:
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16544/allow-revolving-around-a-world-axis-by-default/p1?new=1
CS Student at UT Dallas
Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
Check out my FeatureScripts here:

Tagged:

Comments