Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help finding the center of this wheel

dkortmandkortman Member Posts: 4
edited August 2021 in Community Support
I'm using this model for a CFD simulation and I'm trying to find the center of this wheel. Everywhere i've looked, everyone just selects the wheel and it shows the center. Why doesnt it show it on mine? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited August 2021
    for the best help, share your doc as public - see instructions here

some possible reasons and solutions
    1) the geometry may not be truly round
    2) try picking just the edges
    3) try placing a mate connector
    4) make a sketch and trace over the perimeter with 3 point diameter circle
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • dkortmandkortman Member Posts: 4
    for the best help, share your doc as public

some possible reasons and solutions
    1) the geometry may not be truly round
    2) try picking just the edges
    3) try placing a mate connector
    4) make a sketch and trace over the perimeter with 3 point diameter circle
    Okay, I made it public. I tried to select just the edges, but I wasn't sure if it was giving me the coordinates of the center of the wheel or the center of the half-circle. And to be honest, I have no clue how to do those last two tips, I'm very inexperienced with cad.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited August 2021
    @dkortman
    Hi Dylan, 

Welcome to Onshape and the forum.  You will find folks are very helpful here. 

Please look at my original answer; there is a link to 'Read this first' post that gives instructions on sharing public doc.  Yours is read only so I had to make a copy.

Next as a beginner, you should work through the lessons at the 'Learning Center' button upper right corner.  The tutorials there are excellent.

For your question click the edge of wheel, it will show 1/2 highlight, then in bottom left of window, click the measure icon that has a center position. See this animation.

www.accuratepattern.com