Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Design workflow part studio vs assy ( mirring and BOM)

hi,

as the assy still lack the mirroring feature i was wondering what was your design strategy when designing a lot of similar part ( structure with profile or repetitive beams)

Part studis works but generate a different part for each mirroring or duplication which mean the BOM does not work properly

thanks for your feedback

Answers

• Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    In my opinion the mirrored part is not equal to the original, hence it should be two separate lines in the Bom.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @laurent_p110, I suggest only modeling unique parts in PART STUDIO/s.  Then put these parts together in an ASSEMBLY using multiple INSTANCEs or REPLICATING any repeated parts.  In this example there are 6 unique parts modeled in a part studio.  The assembly (and BoM) includes all six of these part numbers, with multiple instances of item #2 and #6 (6 unique part numbers, 8 pieces as-kitted).

I hope this helps.