Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 14th, 2021

2»

Comments

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @CBowers I have created a ticket for you on this.  I'll ask for a Onshape Support share on that document.  
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    A nice list of improvements. Folders, Re-release, Project Filters, Ruled Surface - we also need cosmetic threads in drawings. Thanks for the tips @john_mcclary

• Eleanor_CoffinEleanor_Coffin Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    CBowers said:
    I've never seen centermarks look like this. Should there not always be a cross in the middle and the line font should be the same as centerline? 
    Mine appears like that too, but changes depending on how closely I zoom in. It appears that the centermark itself (not the extension lines) is made up of dotted lines, too.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    guy_rogel said:
    255 users have been asking for over 2 years to have the option to draw external threads so they can make a simple screw drawing which is still not possible in OS, and you are dealing with the center marks colors.....I think somthing is wrong with your priorities 
    Have you tried the thread creator feature?
    I used it to create 1.5NPSM thread on a 3D print proto and came out great...
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/v/845d049782179b9faee8b6e6/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited September 2021
    I don't know about that priorities list. I'd kind of guess people will simply up-vote any and every idea. Screw threads on a drawing or in a 3D model in particular is a weird one to me to be #2. I've designed a few custom screws for mass production, and didn't even draw the threads on the 3D or 2D. Just a note on what they should be. I know there are some people that might need them, but for enough engineers to vote on that to make it #2 in a list of requested improvements? I'm not buying that.
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    These are great updates. Really like the center mark in drawings. I appreciate all the drawing improvements as that is my largest area of headaches.
  • guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    guy_rogel said:
    255 users have been asking for over 2 years to have the option to draw external threads so they can make a simple screw drawing which is still not
    possible in OS, and you are dealing with the center marks colors.....I think somthing is wrong with your priorities 
    You can't say it isn't possible to make screw drawings

but I agree, it would be nice to have built in external cosmetic threads.
    Until then, here are 4 options for you:

from fastest to slowest:
    - split face where threads would be
    - create a single helix to represent thread
    - use the featurescript Cosmetic Thread to create a double helix Cosmetic Thread - Public | Cosmetic Thread (onshape.com)
    - use the featurescript Create Thread to create a full 3D model of the thread PP_ThreadCreator Beta | threadcreator.fs (onshape.com)

Thanks John. Yse I know how to work around this, but still.. this is not a "special feature" if you have female thread as a feture surly a male should be possible as well
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    FOLDERS!!!  Sweeeet.
  • ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    As a long time aeromodeller I can tell you that the prop on your drawing is backwards. A model engine rotates anti-clockwise as you look at it from the front, i.e. at the crankshaft. Your prop would be a pusher, but the curvature is the wrong way around for that. ;-)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Great improvements and keep them coming. Seen the comments about priority and rollout. I've never had a better experience with a CAD software provider continually seeking user & community feedback to try and keep getting better. Try putting an improvement request in with SolidWorks, then try and avoid paying to actually get it without 'upgrading', and you'll remind yourself what the near past was like.  Onshape's approach to improvements is industry leading.
    Well said

• CGCAD_Engineer1CGCAD_Engineer1 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited September 2021

I have a horrible model which is going to be sooooo much nicer with Ruled Surfaces! yesssss This will keep me happy till the update in which the Rho dimension on conics does no longer appear in the way of the cursor o:)
  • Eric_WongEric_Wong Member Posts: 21 PRO
    Assembly folders, finally! Great update :) 
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Words can't describe how happy I am with the new replicate feature, especially now that it can handle slots!

perhaps a few seconds of video showing the (parametric) mating of 150 fasteners will demonstrate my joy...

Nice! That certainly illustrates your joy. :-D
  • MisaelMisael Member Posts: 9 PRO
    The new folders option is great, but when you want to see one part inside the folder and use the option "hide others" for it, it hides everything including the part you wanted to leave in show. Maybe it's meant to be that way, but it's not obvious for me that you lose this option.
  • Davide_CevDavide_Cev Member Posts: 8 PRO

This is a great update.

but I would like to ask a question about the Folder in the instances list.

What I don't understand is why the folder is an instance itself?
    As you can the from the video the part "Sopra" is inside the folder "Coperchio".
    If I select the part "Sopra" and select the "Hide Other instances" command from the right-click menu, everything disappears because the "Coperchio" folder is another instance.

Does this happen only to me?

wouldn't be better if the folder wasn't an instance? and if you hide the folder it will the instances inside it and not the folder itself?

the way it works now it is a sort of inception.

• Arunabha_NagArunabha_Nag Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 17
    @Davide_Cev
    This is a defect. It will be fixed soon.
  • antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 13 PRO
    Ruled Surfaces are great!

For the win, will need the ability to generate a flat pattern of the ruled surface, much like the sheet metal tool functionality.  Is there an existing way to do this that anyone knows about?
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    @antero_nick there is this custom feature but one should use it carefully
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's weird. Why do I have the feeling that we will have great news soon???
    It's just a feeling, nothing more...
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I was wrong... a new update like every 3 weeks.
    It seems that the flu affected my arachnid sense
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común