Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I have a question about a Helix and making thread.

carlos_berdealcarlos_berdeal Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Community Support
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6304bac849cca86832d438cd/w/5905ac9a92b6aee832335062/e/111b86e6499c006201d15e06 In this design, I have a helix inside the part. I wanted the sweep to start from the bottom but it seems to be way off the bottom. Also at the top of the Thread is ther a simple way to taper it off or round it out? Thank you for any ideas!
Carlos

Answers

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    It looks to me like the reason your sweep cross section does not line up with helix path is because you put the cross section on the Right plane, which does not coincide with the endpoint of the helix. If you make the helix endpoint on the right plane, or, make a new plane where the helix ends, then everything should line up.

Also in general it looks like you have a few unnecessary features. For example the cuts on the side at the end, you could have mirrored the first one, instead of making two sketches and two extrudes.
  • carlos_berdealcarlos_berdeal Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Thank you @nick_papageorge073 I will work on trying to figure this out as this is just my second week trying to do this "3d Modeling" stuff, and so far I love it! Thank you for you're response!
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Is this your second week in any 3D software? Your model is really good for only that amount of time, IMO. Keep at it.
  • carlos_berdealcarlos_berdeal Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    @nick_papageorge073 Yes this is my second week with any 3d software. I learn something new everyday. It is a powerful program. I appreciate it and I appreciate your comment! Thank you!