Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

create angled holes circular on the side of a wheel

uldemauldema Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Using Onshape
A year after I made a 'donut' with some patterns I need to do it again and again I don't understand how.

This is what I made a year ago. Apparently I created a perpendicular plane. I am clueless about how I did that so that is the point I'm stuck at this time.
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14366/circular-pattern-on-revolved-object?

This time I want to make a wheel with evenly distributed 4 holes in a 42 degree angle.

This is my document.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d213606426d4db130c36ed95/w/552cc566d98c2d1bb56c4ffb/e/fb946a2c7c8a4069e0b58f37?renderMode=0&uiState=6161d94d511cb8286539db85

Comments

• Options
    uldemauldema Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Now I used a default plane to draw a line that I use as a path in the Sweep function. I repeated this approach 4 times in stead of trying to do the circular pattern.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Hello Uldema. In a copy of your document in the link below I think I accomplished the result you want. I think the key is to create a plane to achieve the correct angle for the extrude thus keeping the holes round. - Scotty

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO

Consider sketching your "hole" for the Extrude-Remove on a mate-connector rather than a plane.  The mate connector can be edited to translate and rotate:  e.g. translate y = -6mm and rotate about X = -48 degrees (compliment of 42 deg).  Note that you may have to tweak the magnitude of translation to achieve your desired design intent.

Then create a circular pattern of that Extrude-Remove feature.

Wherever possible avoid creating duplicate sketches and features.  Strive to make your model as easy as possible to edit.  Avoid having to alter the the same parameter in two or more different sketches (e.g. Sketch 2 and Sketch 4).  Otherwise you're inviting human error into the editing process.

You should be able to find lessons in the Onshape Learning Center about sketching on mate-connectors.  This is an incredibly powerful approach.