Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Question about evAxis origin location

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
evAxis returns an axis which is defined an origin and a direction? Is the origin location reliably useful? For example to find the center of a cylinder.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    The origin of evAxis is indeed arbitrary. If you want the center, I recommend following it up with an evBox3d, then using the axis as the "cSys", and adjusting the center by the average of the z-coordinates of the minCorner and the maxCorner.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Excellent! Thanks for not only answering my question but also predicting my follow-up and answering that too.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl