Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

EvolveTransportationGroup : I have a dream...

mike_lmike_l Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi All,
My name is Mike and I have a dream...

I have always thought that our transportation system (Gas powered automobiles, roads, freeways, etc..) is obsolete and out of date.  With the technology we have now we should have replaced this inadequate and inefficient technology decades ago. Not to mention that this system is expensive, unsustainable, and destructive.

I envision a new system where the following features are adopted:
1) Vehicles ride on rails. Rails take up significantly less space than roads.  Rails can be stacked vertically.
2) Vehicles are small, light weight, and electric powered.
3) Any individual can own or rent a vehicle. Anyone of any age can operate one. They can operate with no passenger (e.g. deliver goods).
4) Vehicles are smart and drive themselves - the passenger just enters a destination. Accidents are eliminated. Traffic jams are eliminated.
5) The vehicle receives energy from the rail.  Rails are powered via solar, wind, etc.. Passengers pay for energy consumed (like electric bill).
6) There are no stops.  Rails merge with other rails. Travel is high-speed and non-stop.
7) Cost of vehicle, gas, oil, coolant, smog, insurance, maintenance, etc.. is eliminated or greatly reduced.

Of course this is just a short list but it some what illustrates my idea.

So why am I mentioning this idea here..
Well I want to try and start an organisation where all kinds of people with different backgrounds freely volunteer to work on this project. I want this project to be non-profit and open to all. I firmly believe that if we want to improve things in our society we can no longer rely on government or big business to provide the solutions.  More and more I see that grass roots organisations comprised of dedicated people who are willing to freely support and participate in attaining a worthy goal are the only means of getting things done. Today via the internet it should be possible to galvanize and organize large groups of like-minded individuals to accomplish great works.

Although I have an electrical engineering background and am not highly skilled in mechanical or transportation engineering, after discovering this site it just seemed that Onshape would be a great place to kick off this group.  I think that it's free, collaborative, and open (public) design concept is ideal for this kind of project.  I think there are many on this site with various backgrounds and skills who could contribute greatly to this project.

This is an experiment to see if there are like-minded people out there. I may be wasting my breath but I think it is worth a try.  If this thing grows it could lead to the people forcing positive change regardless of the bureaucracy that stands in their way.

So I created a new group called EvolveTransportationGroup.
If you are interested in joining please let me know.
I look forward to hearing your ideas and working together on this project.

Best regards,
Mike

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    mike_l

I feel this is a great idea for both humanity and Onshape. This is an excellent opportunity to experiment on how collaboration in Onshape might work on a grand scale and for a worthy cause to boot. Please sign me up.

Dave
  • Options
    mike_lmike_l Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    @da_vicki
    Thanks Dave. It is great to see some interest in the idea. I will definitely sign you up.

I welcome any and all contributions big or small.  Whether its a single suggestion or a deep commitment, all input is appreciated.

I think a great way for people on this site to start is with some type of concept drawing or model.  They don't have to be highly detailed.  Just something that will illustrate your ideas.

Also, if there are other sites or forums where you think this idea would be appreciated please pass it along.  This project belongs to everyone who is willing to participate on any level.

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I would like to be included. I will knock up a concept model, illustrating an idea I have been mulling for some years, for an enhancement to the 'Vertical stacking' idea for rail transport.  

A strong advantage of autonomous vehicles under such a regime, it seems to me, is that their control could be very much simpler and hence more reliable in the long term than for autonomous road vehicles (with less stringent maintenance requirements) ... and of course autonomy is essential if vehicle numbers are to be minimised without compromise to availability anywhere on the network.