Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reference pattern in assembly

Hi!

I use a lot of hole patterns. And patterns within patterns. And patterns of that pattern. Usually for bolts or pins. In my previous cad software I could just place the one bolt on one of the holes and select "reference pattern" and it would populate the whole set. Now I have to either populate manually (time consuming) or recreate the pattern in assembly mode. In the latter the pattern values (distance and quantity) in assembly are not linked to the values in part studio, which is again time consuming because with each change I have to check that everything still lines up.

Is there a solution for this in Onshape? Or should I approach this in a completely different way? Either way, this could save me a lot of time. 

Sam

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Good morning - try Replicate
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • sam_schulpensam_schulpen Member Posts: 6 PRO
    edited January 2022
    NeilCooke said:
    Good morning - try Replicate
    Hi Neil, thanks, this is usefull. 

Is there a way however to transfer pattern quantity and dimension values from part studio to assembly? Because parts are not always referenced to geometry (to use the replicate tool). 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    No there isn't, not unless you use configurations and match the assembly config to the part config.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI