Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Parametric Ribbing in FeatureScript

In having no luck finding a good option for parametric ribbing (after shelling a machined/injected part) I am interested in writing my own feature script plugin to accomplish this task. Is their a good tutorial for a ribbing script? Anything available a that may be a little more complicated (i.e. gradient patterns near features (machined holes, edges, etc.), basic structural optimization?  

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,488 PRO
    Have you tried the "Lighten" featurescript?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/573f7d70e4b0fddafb52148c/v/85bb63ae5685ae3614116952/e/2dc22a6a95896a5243812d07

You still have to give it the locations for the ribs etc though so maybe your are talking about something more automated?
  • alexander_collier495alexander_collier495 Member Posts: 5
    Cool! closer to what I am looking for. For example SolidWorks 'fill patterns' automatically populate a given surface (including non-planar surfaces) with geometric patterns (as you mentioned, so you don't have to manually draw out grid lines) - accomplishing the same task as above. I am trying to avoid manually drawing out a large pattern of triangles/squares and would also like to add some parametric capabilities - so when I change the part size I don't have to readjust dimensions, etc. 

I am surprised this isn't included in the package (maybe I have to upgrade?). Even most 3D printer software these days have all these capabilities to lighten parts, etc. 
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Maybe study this part of the help file will help you.

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    This may not be what you're after, but you mentioned Fill Pattern in Solidworks and gradient patterns near holes. You could use Attractor Pattern to make holes that can update with your part and reduce the density of the holes near structural areas like mounting holes. Here's a crude example.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • alexander_collier495alexander_collier495 Member Posts: 5
    cool Evan, appreciate that! definitely a step forward in what I am interested in doing. One thing that is really bothering me is that the 'Rib' feature only works on planar surfaces (?) If I want to rib a multiplane surface it takes a huge amount of complexity (?) 

As far as I can tell OnShape can ONLY add planar ribs to a curved surface (as seen below). Instead I want to have the ribs hold a dimension normal to a curved surface so the rib profile follows the outline of the curved shape.