Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Feature - Bridge Overhang (for 3D printing)

imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9db73769726a7c1968a9eec6/w/a94665f4983acd43414a91e8/e/f98a3b9885864c1f11d186d6
This tool lets the user print normally difficult geometry much more cleanly. Generally, when printing geometry with counterbored (or pocketed) geometry on the bottom, the resulting print develops a solid amount of spaghetti as filament is extruded with no support. Printing supports isn't much better, plus it requires the user to remove them afterwards, often resulting in poor print quality as well. No more! with the Bridge Overhang tool, geometry is modified subtly to make printing a breeze below are two sets of identical holes, printed with and without the geometry modification at .2mm layer height on a prusa mini.

The feature can be applied as a finishing step for all holes, including an automated selection process that can propagate the feature to identical parallel faces with the same orientation (see below)

Cheers, and happy 3D printing!

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I didn't even think to use a feature like this in 3D printing. I usually just use supports. But this is much cleaner.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Nice work! I spent the last 20 years designing for injection molding, and now I'm learning how to design for 3D print for my home hobbies. This feature will come in handy.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Cool, thanks!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Thanks, Imants! Saved me the time to figure out how to write it 😁 I haven't taken the time yet to dig into it, but might one sometimes need to specify a direction in case their slicer wants to bridge in a different direction at a given layer height or is that something you'd adjust on the slicer side?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
    Thanks, Imants! Saved me the time to figure out how to write it 😁 I haven't taken the time yet to dig into it, but might one sometimes need to specify a direction in case their slicer wants to bridge in a different direction at a given layer height or is that something you'd adjust on the slicer side?
    That's a really good point! As far as I know, Cura and PrusaSlicer are pretty intelligent about bridging when there's support material on both sides, but I'll definitely run some tests when I get home :smile: